How to plumb low overflow holes

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I picked up my 180 and it's the first drilled tank I've had so not 100% sure how to plumb it for a sump. I attached a pic of where the two 3" holes are in the back of it. I'm thinking they are kind of low but I don't know. I got plenty of time before I actually even put water in this thing but want to know ahead of time if I'm going to need room in the back of the tank for any special kind of plumbing. The center of both holes is about 5 1/2" from the top rim of the tank.

I think it's normal to have lower holes and the just have a fitting on the inside that turns up and ends where you overflow level needs to be.

I think.

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. Put my bulkhead on and then a short piece of straight and then put a 90 degree elbow and then just go as high as I want the water level to be. Just wasn't sure this should be done like that.

the other way and in my opinion a better way is to install a skimmer box on the inside that way it gives you more surface area to collect stuff out of your tank and also helps critters from getting in your overflow pipes

Very good idea. Didn't even think of that. That makes a lot more sense and would probably look better and do a better job at keep things from going down the pipes. Hopefully I can find one big enough to cover both of them, if not, I guess two won't be a bad thing.

Yeah, I was looking on eBay just to see what they would run. Would that size you linked be adequate for a 180 gallon tank? And what would I cut the slots with?

that one said 120 gal to 220 gal tank 1800 gph witch should be fine depending on your return pump. as far as the slots if you have a table saw or access to one that would work just fine. i made my ouwn hob overflow and i drilled holes and then cut the top of the holes off to make a half moon

Yeah, I have a table saw and figured I'd use it. I figure I can either use it or drill holes then use some snips to cut the top parts off. I'll have to see how the saw cuts. Thanks for the idea man, saved me a few bucks ;)

one tip ill give your with the table saw you a very fine tooth carbide blade i use a 7 1/4" plywood blade when i cut it if the blade is to coarse it will chip the acrylic.

Will do. I'm wondering how low below the holes I should go, how much room should give the overflow box fill before it would drain into the bulkhead and down the pipe?

i would say go about an inch to an inch and a half below make the top of the box where you want the water level and you can adjust everything eles with the plumbing

Ok. I'm figuring it will be 16" wide and from the bottom of the rim to an 1 1/2" below the holes is 8". I'm thinking maybe 4" out from the back should be enough?

You never posted a pic of your skimmer/overflow box. I'm about to do this before I put the tank up on the stand and would love to see an example of what It should look like before I get into it.

Back