how to set up a 10g quarantine tank

:confused:i want to learn how to treat my fish before i put them in to the main tank...but i dont know how to i dont want to have ich again...:dunno:

Well, have you treated ALL your fish? If not, it's sort of a useless fight to qt a fish, only to have it go back to a tank that already has ich.

all you need to do is set-up the tank with a powerhead, a heater and have have the salinity at about 1.009.
Or you could go the copper route but I'm not sure of the product name.

nope, you don't need any filters just frequent water changes. I've read as little as 4 weeks to as long as 8 weeks

The general rule of thumb is one fish every 4 weeks so your tank can catch up to the new bioload. There are always exceptions like if you buy a mated pair or you have a big tank.
If you're going to QT though you need to make sure every fish you buy or currently have gets QTed otherwise you'll still have ich in your tank.

If you're going to use hyposalinity rather than copper, you need to put the fish in the tank with normal salinity to begin with and gradually bring it down. They can survive the low salinity just fine but you have to ease them into it. If you just dump them from say.. 1.023 to 1.010 in one shot, it'll likely shock and kill them.

I personally prefer copper since it's much easier but hypo is supposed to be safer in the long run when you do it properly.

And if you want to add a HOB filter just with foam or filter floss in it that's a good easy way to get large particles out.

You also want plenty of stuff for them to hide in in the tank to reduce the stress. It doesn't have to look pretty so you could just use some old tacky plastic decorations if you have them or just get some pieces of PVC pipe.

If you're going to use hyposalinity rather than copper, you need to put the fish in the tank with normal salinity to begin with and gradually bring it down. They can survive the low salinity just fine but you have to ease them into it. If you just dump them from say.. 1.023 to 1.010 in one shot, it'll likely shock and kill them.

I personally prefer copper since it's much easier but hypo is supposed to be safer in the long run when you do it properly.

And if you want to add a HOB filter just with foam or filter floss in it that's a good easy way to get large particles out.

You also want plenty of stuff for them to hide in in the tank to reduce the stress. It doesn't have to look pretty so you could just use some old tacky plastic decorations if you have them or just get some pieces of PVC pipe.
This is absolutely correct,and i prefer hypo:Cheers:

Personally, I think a 10 gal is way too small for even a QT tank. All that's going to do is stress the fish more. I would use at least a 20 long

Back