How to set up a sump start to finish

ryanstrother

Reefing newb
Okay guys, im completley new to reefing. I have no idea what to expect for a sump filtration system, other than that they seem to be the best option.

My tank will a 120 gallon reef, and im planning on a pretty standard setup. Its pre-drilled twice, with plenty of space underneath for a filter and skimmer unit. Im just completley lost on how to get from the point of having a tank and no filter, to the finished product of a well-set up, reliable overflow filter. :question: if anybody has any advice or links to the info im looking for, that would be great.

thanks! I really appreciate the help as I have been reading as much as I can about reefing and marine aquariums, and cant seem to find a straightforward anwser.

:sfish:

Hello! It's easy to make your own sump -- you just need an empty tank that will fit in your stand. You can get plexiglass cut to make baffles at Home Depot or Lowe's. A basic sump has 3 sections -- one for the equipment like heaters and protein skimmer, one for a refugium and one for the return pump. You can see several sump builds in the DIY section of this forum.

Did your tank come with bulkheads or plumbing? Or is it just holes drilled in the glass?

That's good! You will need to get PVC to fit the existing plumbing. If you google "Durso Standpipe" that's what I used on my tank. You will need two of those. Those lead down to your sump, and the water flows through the 3 chambers, and is returned to the tank via the return pump and more PVC.

what do the three chambers do? sorry about all the questions, minnesotan born and raised, formerly all-freshwater all-the-time, Ive never had any experience with SW aquariums.

One chamber is to put the skimmer and if you wish, your heater in. Another chamber is to turn into a refugium. You put some rubble in there to increase your live rock filtration, and most people will put a light over it to grow macro algae to help keep the nitrates under control. It also a great place for microfauna, like pods, to live and reproduce. The last chamber is typically for your return pump to get the water back up the display tank.

Back