How to take care of a Sandsifting sea star

R3verb

Time to add some coral!
Hey guys,

I am new to Saltwater tanks and I my tank is now 6 weeks old. It is a 24 gal tank and right now I have 3 fish and a Sand Sifting Sea Star. I was told that my sea star might not be getting enough food. Is there any way to feed him? Thanks!

i personally would bring him back to the store and maybe try a different one, serpent sea stars are hardy and so are bristol stars. many sea stars are difficult to care for. also with your tank being so new i would be very careful what you add to it and how quickly, you should leave about a week and a half to 2 weeks before adding lifestock so the bacteria has a change to catch up with the bio load.

You can try putting an algae tab under him when he is out. However, your tank is far too new to support him on his own. He needs an established tank, with lots of gunk and crap that has built up in the sand bed over time.

+1 everyone so far. You are better off returning the starfish. It will be near impossible to meet its needs with your tank. :(

Unless you have a 6ft tank with only him being the only star or sand sifter, he is going to die. I've never heard of one living in a small tank. Sorry :( please return him?

Ya, not only does he have a good change of starving eventually, he's wiping your sand bed of all the good micro organisms and stuff that's good for your tank. As mentioned above, look for a nice serpent or brittle star that won't be as aggressive.

just wanted to let all of you know that I took the little guy back today! He was nice and active when I got him back to the LFS today so hopefully he will end up with a great new owner!

Back