How would you plumb a 4 outlets CLS?

clancaster23

Reefing newb
I got the dual durso setup ready and mounted to the tank, now I have to work on the return half of the plumbing. It'll be a closed loop system going to four bulkheads. I'll be using a pump that has a 1" outlet and two of the four bulkheads are 1", the other two are 1 1/4" so somewhere along the line I'll have to jump it up 1/4". I'm just trying to figure out an overall good design to get the best flow. I'm guessing I should stay away from 90 degree elbows because that will restrict flow too much. Biggest thing I'm trying to figure out is how to split up the flow out of the pump to four other pipes, how should it be done?

Last edited:
I would use two pumps, each with a y-fitting. Or you could immediately use a y and use a slip fitting to get the one up to a 1" 1/4" size and do another y wherever. But yes, with a 4 pipe return, you're going to need a large pump and keep head pressure down. Try using flex tubing as much as you can.

I was thinking of splitting the return in two with a Y after coming out of the pump then just after that, putting another Y on each of the two sides and that would give me four. I could then use flex tubing all the way up to the bulkheads where I can just plug them right in.

Or should I just do a straight line one which would be three T's and a 90 on the end then gate valves possibly and all that running up to the tank with flex tubing.

the manifold would be horizontal so you would come up out of your pump and 90 into the manifold then take flex line to each bulkhead

Back