Howdy Everyone!

karie36

Reefing newb
I have had my 90 gallon aquarium running for about a year but have not done much with it. Looking for some help to get me moving in the right direction. I have about 50# live rock in it and I no I need more. I've got alot of questions!! Not sure where to start..

Hello and welcome to the site...glad to have you. Ask any question you may have, that what we're for. And you're right about needing more rock, the rule of thumb is 1-2lbs or rock per gallon.

I want a reef tank eventually. I only have a damsel and two clown fish in there now and they have been in since my tank cycled a little over a year ago. I have a reef octopus skimmer, aquatic life t5 lamp(want to get another but not sure if thats enough), I have a 30 gallon tank that im getting ready to build a sump out of. Should my next step be to get the sump going and the rest of the live rock in there?

I have had my 90 gallon aquarium running for about a year but have not done much with it. QUOTE]

WOW! You're gonna make a great reefer!! That's a whole lot of patience you've got. Most people are flat broke by their first year! Welcome to the site.

Im really not very patient but everything I read said not to rush and I like to try and do things right the first time. So the light I have includes one 10,000K and one 420/460nm T5 HO bulb. The lamp is expandable to connect multiple fixtures. I was planning on getting another one to connect. Lighting is something I have not read alot on so I am not sure if I need more or if I should just go a different route with the lights.

I think you'd be better off to go a different direction with the lights.You'll really need at least a 6 bulb light with individual reflectors.

Yote is right. That won't be enough light to keep even low light corals in a 90 gallon tank.

These are the lights I use over my 90: 48" Current Nova Extreme Pro. It has 6 T5 bulbs with individual reflectors.

Thank you guys for the suggestions I will look into better lighting options. I want to change my substrate I think its cruched coral in there now and I have read alot of negative things about cc. Is there a good way to go about this? Also I have 2 lil pieces of lava rock in there should I go ahead and get them out why I am doing this? Thank you for all the input. I've done a lot of reading but its so overwhelming! Its nice to be able to ask ?s without feeling like an idiot.

You should take the lava rock out. It can leach metals into the water.

I can't remember if you mentioned if you have fish or not. If you have fish, remove the crushed coral a little bit at a time -- a couple cups a day. Then replace it with sand. It will fog up your water a bit, but the fish will be fine.

If you don't have fish, just scoop it out all at once.

Ok so I got the cc n lava rock out. I put the sand in and I am wondering if i should leave the filters on r off while it settles and how long does it take?

Back