Huge oil problem.

benga

Reefing newb
So I've bought stuff from my lfs before and mixed their water with mine and never had any problems.
Then i went to another fish store that someone recommended to me and they were really awesome. But i mixed their water up with mine and now my tank is just a big oil pot. The skimmer is going nuts with micro bubbles everywhere!

My thought was that i should use a sock with some activate carbon but i need some pro tips.

Please help me get rid of the oil. I have 4 corals damsels and a lot of snail species. I don't want them to die.

what do you mean By OIL, Like actual Oil. Pics Please !!!! might wana try a filter sock full of polishing pads and change them out really often. Also run carbon after the pads. But still it would help if you explain a bit more and some pictures of what it looks like.

An oily film?

Just an FYI, never mix LFS water with yours. You don't know what kind of additives they are using. They could also be treating their tanks with copper which is bad for corals.

what do you mean By OIL, Like actual Oil. Pics Please !!!! might wana try a filter sock full of polishing pads and change them out really often. Also run carbon after the pads. But still it would help if you explain a bit more and some pictures of what it looks like.

Not literally oil, the tank looks like it would if it had a severe oily film, the bubbles that get into the tank dont rise, some even clump up and look like tiny jellyfish.

An oily film?

Just an FYI, never mix LFS water with yours. You don't know what kind of additives they are using. They could also be treating their tanks with copper which is bad for corals.

Yes, there is an oily film a pretty bad one too. I sure learned my lesson.

Sounds like melafix or primafix, smells like vicks vapor rub?

Nope, I rinse my hands and arms before i go into the tank.

Sorry i flipped the images but when i upload it it turns it again, dont know why. Images for those that need it.
I just put the filter sock on and some activated carbon.
No bubbles come out of the sock :)
I let very little out though so you guys can see what happens.
THanks for the help guys/girls
HxGyoJH.jpg

Wm1c5XS.jpg

0osr0sa.jpg

Last edited:

+1 on above with polishing pads or filter floss - replace if you see it get saturated cycle through your water a few times (depending on gph rating of pump). +50% water change afterwards. don't worry too much about the carbon right now you need to get this stuff out of the water.

can't say i've ever seen this before. don't think its copper or melafix - i've used both and they don't react with water this way.

Last edited:
Do you mean that you bought livestock at the store and mixed the water from the bag with your own water? Or do you mean you bought water from the store to mix up as fresh saltwater or top-off water? The cause of the problem is likely different depending on which one it is!

Do you mean that you bought livestock at the store and mixed the water from the bag with your own water? Or do you mean you bought water from the store to mix up as fresh saltwater or top-off water? The cause of the problem is likely different depending on which one it is!

The water in the bag into my tank.

Yup more than likely the LFS water had something in it that whey where treating for. Most LFS treat there fish with a bit of cooper in there Fish Only systems to make sure they dont die on them from perasite. Thats why i never Let fish store water get into my system. Best bet is to do a 20 to 30 % water change asap and then give it a couple days and do another 10 %

Yup more than likely the LFS water had something in it that whey where treating for. Most LFS treat there fish with a bit of cooper in there Fish Only systems to make sure they dont die on them from perasite. Thats why i never Let fish store water get into my system. Best bet is to do a 20 to 30 % water change asap and then give it a couple days and do another 10 %

So far what i've done is a 10% change, I have a HOB skimmer so i rigged it so it runs into a filter sock and in the sock is Polishing pad and below that is activated carbon. I've noticed little change so far but i think the water change will do the job.

Yeah One time I treated for Red slime algea, Even do its was just a little bit, This made my skimmer go crazy and it took about 6 water changes to get everything back to regular. Any addatives to the water can cause unwanted things to happen in your system. Remember you aclimate everything in the bag or other container and add you water to it slowly and empty half then add more water then alwys net your fish before placing them in your tank. With corals it can get more dificult especially when a coral cant be exposed to air. lol those are fun.

If you can find one you might also want to run a poly-filter pad and/or chemi-clean in your sump. Those should pull out any harmful chemicals including copper. I used both when aerosolized carpet cleaner got into my tank and I had no losses.

Back