Hungry for knowledge

TKC_Tank

Reefing newb
We are new to this hobby and are absolutely fascinated. We have a 55gal tank, Fluvol 205 canister filter, cyclone hob protein skimmer, 1250 powerhead, T5 high output fluorescent lights (2@ 12000 spectrum, 2@ actnic).
17lbs live rock, 15lb base rock, 1"sand.
Our sealife:
Occellaris clownfish
Yellow eyed Tang
Yellow Tang
Melanarus Wrasse
Red Fromia Starfish
Coral Banded Shrimp
Anemone (i think it is a long tentacle but unsure)
and a handful of turbo snails, an olive snail, and hermit crabs
Red & Blue mushroom corals
Leather coral (came on a live rock)
Radioactive Dragon Eye Zoanthid

We are constantly having to add calcium supp to keep it above 380mg/l. that doesn't seem normal. any tips on how to keep calcium levels up so we can support more corals?
Any other softies that would be good for a newbie to try?
I'd love to get a sand sifting goby but I have heard they wreck the rockscape. thoughts?
Any suggestions on which fish would be compatible in our tank?
I don't want to overcrowd the tank, so how many fish is acceptable to have?

One medium to small fish per ten gallons is max. So I would say if you wanted to get a small bottom-dweller you would be okay. But you would be at your limit after that. Especially since the fish you have will most likely be aggressive to newcomers.

Sandsifters don't wreck the rockscape, but they do have a tendency to sift sand all over the place, so just be prepared to have your lower level rocks covered in sand from time to time.

More zoas would be easy. As would green star polyps.

Also welcome to the site!

The only aggressive one in the tank is the shrimp. he's a bit of a jerk. But everyone else is very mellow and cohabits well together. What kind of bottom dweller do you suggest?

Thanks for the welcome :)

For what it's worth, they cohabitate well together NOW. When you add a new guy into the mix, a new pecking order has to be established.

I've always been a big fan of the diamond watchman gobies. Mine had the best personality.

We are constantly having to add calcium supp to keep it above 380mg/l. that doesn't seem normal. any tips on how to keep calcium levels up so we can support more corals?

What are the other parameters?
pH
Alkalinity
Magnesium

Calcium is just one of the key parameters if you intend to keep corals. And it must be in proper proportion to Alkalinity and Magnesium.
If any one of these parameters are outside of the normal range then it messes up the water chemistry and the calcium you are adding could just be precipitating quickly.

What salt mix are you using? Some brands have low calcium/alkalinity content to begin with. Check the label on your salt mix to see what the starting values are for a new mix.

Some light reading:
The “How To” Guide to Reef Aquarium Chemistry for Beginners, Part 1: The Salt Water Itself

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters

A Simplified Guide to the Relationship Between Calcium, Alkalinity, Magnesium and pH

Calcium and Alkalinity

Just take things slow and enjoy every step of the learning process.
Trying to rush things to get your dream tank will make it feel like it is a lot of work and you end up disliking the hobby.

Back