husbandtry

I know we have alot of different discussions on very big topics, but i hardly see anything on general cleaning of our dt (diaplay tanks) for the vets out there, what are your weekly routines, besides wc(water changes) i under stand this is per tank moreover do you clean off your lr (live rock)? Do you sift through your sand bed? What are you typically looking for when doing your tasks? I think our husbandtry is the most important thing, and really want to know different ways YOU take care of YOUR tank.

I clean the glass every few days and make a new batch of saltwater every 2-3 weeks when the auto water change system has used up the current batch. That's pretty much it other than things that need periodic attention like cleaning vortech wet sides, refilling media reactors, etc... and regular testing/dosing.

I was kinda wondering the same thing. Here is what I do.

Wednesdays and Saturdays or Sundays- Change filter sock and empty/clean skimmer cup, clean glass, refill auto top off.

20-25 gallon water change every 3 weeks, Before water change I use turkey baster to blast debris off rock work.

Do you do water changes because of water test or just to change it? I would have thought (new guy here) that unless your water chemistry is off why change it. But it seems like most people are doing a 10-20% water change weekly.

Every other day i do a 5g water change, i clean my collection cup on my water change days. I use a brush to clean off heavier particles in center "reaction chamber" in protein skimmer. Once or twice a week i blow off my live rock and sift my shallow sand bed( less than 2 inches) i run a overflow, and i clean filter once a week for my lifter pump(cpr overflow) usually once a week i clean off glass, i leave the back of the tank go "natural" with coraline algae( and because im lazy) once a month i clean my plastic covers on my t5 lights form salt creep and i check for stray voltage once a week. I clean my 7in filter sock once a week ( washing machine when my wife isnt looking) and change out my filter floss in my bubble traps.

Last edited:
Do you do water changes because of water test or just to change it? I would have thought (new guy here) that unless your water chemistry is off why change it. But it seems like most people are doing a 10-20% water change weekly.
Weekly or bi-weekly water changes are good even if your water tests are good. The water changes help restore trace elements that are absorbed by corals. Water changes are also remove nitrates.

This is my Schedual, I clean glass with mag float every other day or 3 days when even it get filmy, i change out my filter socks 3 times a week and clean the used ones for the next time. I empty my Skimmer cup every 4 days or so and clean it. I Do 25% water change every 2 weeks. And i top off every morning and night. ( Will hopefully be getting an ATO soon ) Other than that i do A good cleaning on my full skimmer and pumps every 2 to 3 months Using the same water i just pull out of the tank durring my water change. Oh yeah also i trim down my cheato every month and turn it every sock change. LOL

that on top off mistimg my reptiles every other day, Feeding dogs, Taking care of Baby. LOL I have a full Job After i get home from work.

Common nick, please let me pick your salt for brains. What does nick do per week,month. :-)
I don't do anything special:D Weekly 15% water changes. I add kalkwasser to my auto top off water. Clean my skimmer and glass as needed. Once a month I take out my power heads/pumps and put them in some water/white vinegar mix and clean all the parts.

Wednesday - test alk , & 5g water change

Sunday - test cal / alk , 15g water change , clean skimmer cup , replace reactor media as needed , top off dosing containers , refill ATO

Once per month - test cal / alk / Mg , blow off rocks , vac sand bed , clean skimmer , clean powerheads (if needed) , 30g water change.

87g display , 40g sump, 2x BRS reactors , Nextreef SMR1, MP40wes, 2x AI Vega Color, QuietOne 6000 return, Tunze osmolator , SC Aquarium Skimmer (soon to be SKIMZ SM 121 Monzter E-Series)

This is very interesting stuff. I am just starting off with my 120g reef. During my cycle, should I leave the filter sock alone or should I change it?

Once the initial cloudiness (from the sand) clears up, I'd ditch the filter sock altogether. If you're not super diligent with them they can turn into nitrate factories.

Once the initial cloudiness (from the sand) clears up, I'd ditch the filter sock altogether. If you're not super diligent with them they can turn into nitrate factories.
Thanks! Assuming I am changing and washing them every 3 days or so, are they going to be beneficial enough to keep around?

I know there's people on here that run them... @fastrd400 at least used to.

I have no idea how often you'd have to do it for them to be beneficial. I imagine it would have a lot to do with your stock and feeding schedule.

Thanks! Assuming I am changing and washing them every 3 days or so, are they going to be beneficial enough to keep around?
When I ran filter socks I would swap them every three days with no issues. I would throw them in the washer with a little bleach and let them air dry. I just got lazy and went sockless.

5g/week on the 57 and both 130s. add water to ATOs as needed and clean the sock on the 57 weekly. Clean front glass as needed, usually EOD.

Without the socks my sump is noisy and have some microbubble issues. I think i will keep them around and change 'em weekly.

Back