Hydor Koralia 2 Broke

ltkenbo

Reefing newb
I was cleaning out my powerheads the other day, and one of my newer koralia 2's would not work upon resubmerging it in the tank. I took it back out and tried to make sure everything was put back together correctly and it is, no broken parts. I even used my ohm meter to compare the impedence of it compared to my other koralia 2's and it was the same. However, it will not spin at all upon plugging it in. What should I do?

Take it back apart and put it back together again. Try spinning it with your fingers while it's unplugged to see if it spins freely as well. It could just be some gunk you knocked loose gumming it up.

you mean when you spin it by hand you can't spin it? If you spin it by hand and it dont want to spin freely something is binding it most likely. If it spins freely by hand most likely something in the motor is the problem. Or else there just isn't power to the plug.

What I meant is when I try to spin it, it doesn't try to spin itself at all, it just flips to the next orientation of the magnets (there are 2 ways it will naturally try to face due to the permanent magnet), however ones that aren't broken do this even when they are unplugged because this force is only caused by the permanent magnets. I tried different outlets. Is there no warranty on these?

Thats what I was wondering. There is no power getting to the windings in it for some reason. If it has a bad motor inside the sealed area there is really no way you can fix it. It's wierd an ohms check would be the same and have a bad motor though. Don't know if there is a warranty or not. It's prolly not worth the hassle to try and get em to honor it though. A K2 is what 25 bucks max?

I bought one for mixing ro and salt used it once and died, brought to LFS new one given. Used once again and the new one died. Broght it back and got a 4

My 4s run like a charm a no issues. 2s I have given up on.

That happened to me as well. I actually had to glue the impeller to the magnet and it spins just fine. I only used a little dab of gel super glue so I can still take it apart to clean it. I just have to add another small dab of glue when I put back together.

Koralias, IMHO, have always been over-rated. Why not get a plain old 30G powerhead? They're smaller and don't jut out into the tank display as much as the Koralias.

Back