Hydor Koralia Evolution Pumps

I used four Evo 1050s on my 90. Those, combined with the return pump, created about 66 times turnover. That's a lot of flow, even excessive. I think three of the 1050s would be fine.

For a 90 gallon you would want a few of the big boys, I think the rule of thumb is 40x your watever volume or something? So 3600 gallons per hr circulating, if that is the rule i cant remember. Someone will correct me. As for placement it really all depends on how your rock is setup to move around and through and all about it. Finding the sweet spots can be difficult and time consuming but well worth it. As for quantites of power heads, you could go 1 of two ways, 1. Get a couple more powerful ones to achieve the max circualtion, or 2. Buy more of the lesser powerful ones, i find option #2 would be more beneficial since you could place various poweheads all about your tank so to acheive no dead spots. Again this is just my opinion. Others will chime in. :) Good luck!

If you have a lot of rockwork, you might need at least four of the 1050 so that you can angle each one to achieve optimal flow.

I'm not sure what this forum's policy is on posting vendor sites but you might find those powerheads cheaper at this site:
Hydor Koralia Hydor Koralia Circulation and Wave Pump Aquarium Powerheads

Like Washburn82 said, you could use several smaller powerheads if that is what is needed for optimal flow. Maybe 6+ of the 550's placed throughout the tank instead of just on either side.

I've got 750, 850, & 1400. I had to replace a 1400 for the 750 cause it was stirring up the sand to bad. I think it has a lot to do with your rock work on how many you need. But it'll take a few try's at moving the PH around before it's correct. A trail and error situation.

I have 2 1400, 1 1050, and 2 750s in my 90g. The two 750s are on a wave maker and alternate, and one of the 1400s is aimed behind the rocks. I still get piles of detritus on the bottom. So far everything seems to be okay with this much flow in the tank.

Just FWI (I didn't look at the links posted), I just picked up a 1050 off of Amazon for $35. [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Koralia-Evolution-1050gph-Aquarium-Circulation/dp/B0042GKG2A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1341021601&sr=8-2&keywords=koralia+1050[/ame] Couldn't believe the price. I'm running 1 -1050, 2- 750's and 1 -425 in my 90. Thats 33x turnover with just the power heads. Add the pump volume (corrected) and I have just over 40x turnover. Thats pretty good flow in a 90. Yours should be close to that with the same power heads.

Back