Hydor koralia powerhead

Joeysmissy

Reefing newb
I purchased a koralia 2 last week and it ran good for 2 days before it started to make a wired humming sound..not sure if it's the vibration or the thing just sucks..anyone have one?and had the same problem?

mine have never done that take it apart and clean it and if it still has a hum that it did not have before take it back to the store and get a new one

Did you take it apart to clean it? If so, make sure you didn't lose any of the washers that go on the bottom of the impeller. There are 2. A white 1 goes closest to the magnet and then a black 1 on the bottom.

I have 5 Koralia's in my tank. Whenever they need to be cleaned, I soak them for a few hrs in full strength vinegar and they come out like brand new.

No, I take them apart and soak them. I guess if you use a big enough container and fill it with vinegar you can run them in it. I just use a tupperware bowl. The vinegar dissolves any calcium carbonate build up on the impeller and makes quick work of any coralline. They turn out like you just bought them.

ive used a solution of vinigar and water to clean tanks and parts and stuff, i just never really gave much thought to doing the powerheads, i mean i clean them out when i can see algae or gunk in them, but i never bothered trying to get the corraline off... i kinda like it, its like camo for the PH hehehehe

i have 2 in my tank. they both dont make the slightest sound. even when i put my ear up to it i cant hear it. i would say it was some shipping fluke or manufacturer error

No, I take them apart and soak them. I guess if you use a big enough container and fill it with vinegar you can run them in it. I just use a tupperware bowl. The vinegar dissolves any calcium carbonate build up on the impeller and makes quick work of any coralline. They turn out like you just bought them.

Thats what I do also, but I run them while soaking in a 5 gal bucket.......good as new!

if you get to much in the tank it will drop the Ph. but if you soak them all in vinegar you just need to rinse it all off with some fresh water and than put it back in the tank

vinegar is acetic acid and water. that acid will drop your pH but it is a very weak reaction. it is organic and is broken down naturaly. it shouldnt harm anything. i wouldnt pour a gal of vinegar directly in the tank though. "white vinegars contain 5-10% acetic acid and have a pH roughly around 2.40 - 3.40. " this means that if your tank is at 8.2 pH and 100 gal. if you added 100 gals of vinegar your pH would probably drop to 5.3 - 5.8. it would take a lot of vinegar.

not 100% on the calc. i dont feel like writting out the chemical formulas. if anyone out there has a more specific example them let me know.

YIKES...lol. Your calculations are WAYYYYYYYYY off.

High pH: Causes and Cures by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com
It takes 1 mL of distilled white vinegar per gallon of tank water to initially reduce pH by about 0.3 units. Add it to a high flow area away from organisms (such as in a sump). The local pH where it first is added will be very low. Going about this procedure slowly is better than proceeding too fast. If you do not have a sump, add it especially slowly. The lower the aquarium's alkalinity, the larger will be the pH drop. Also, the higher the pH, the smaller will be the pH drop, because the buffering of seawater declines steadily as the pH drops from about 9 to 7.5. Remember, there may be an additional, later drop in pH as the vinegar is metabolized to carbon dioxide.

Back