Hydrogen Peroxide and How It Affects Your Aquarium

Tristan

Detritus
I've done some research on saltwater aquarium guidebooks as well as online forums and blogs.

I found that people use hydrogen peroxide to cure algae, and in the official "Saltwater Aquarium for Dummies" book, it states that you can use it to add oxygen to your aquarium when the power goes out.

I think it would be helpful to newbies and experts alike if anyone would like to tell their experience and knowledge on hydrogen peroxide in saltwater aquariums.

THANKS to anyone who can give info and experience!

you can use it but you have to have a dissolved oxygen test kit this is a must. you can make your o2 levels way to high which would be fatel to all the animals. insted of trying a quick fix get to the root of the problem or the alage. other things that you can do is vodka dosing witch is safer than the jydrogen peroxide but you still have to follow a strict dosing plan with it also and an overdose can be just as bad

this is one thing that i have been reading alot about since my nitrate and po4 test at 0 but i still have alage not a big problem but it is there do i am going to dose vodka and maybe sugar together to get it even lower. cheto works good but i will not use it again ever since it cloged up my pump. a couple peices got loose and almost burned up my main pump so no more cheato for me

I want to caution everyone about just jumping in and dosing vodka or sugar willy nilly. You need to be sure to read as many articles as you can, and research vodka/sugar dosing before you decide to do it. It can have a catastrophic effect on your tank if not done perfectly. You risk crashing the tank and killing everything in it. So be sure to do your homework on it -- it's a controversial technique within the reefing community because it is dangerous and risky.

Also, make sure you have a powerful skimmer. The claims of vodka/sugar are that it is a simple carbon source that bacteria feed on. The bacteria consume the sugar and use the nitrates and phosphates to create components for their cells. Then the skimmer removes the bacteria. I looked into it but am leaning against it. It just seems a tad bit involved for me. The theory sounds like it would work though.

Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com

Yes, that's the theory, and the theory is sound. However, if you add even a little bit too much sugar, you will create too much bacteria, they will consume all the oxygen in the tank, and all your animals will suffocate. This can happen very quickly if you dose too much, or increase your doses too quickly.

Yup thats why I posted the link. It has all the info on it and all the risks. It is very clear in that is you miss a day, to not double dose the next day and such. Like I said, a bit too involved for me. I am looking into rebuilding an algea scrubber. The other one I built worked good but just took up too much room.

i was just going to post that link

Also, make sure you have a powerful skimmer. The claims of vodka/sugar are that it is a simple carbon source that bacteria feed on. The bacteria consume the sugar and use the nitrates and phosphates to create components for their cells. Then the skimmer removes the bacteria. I looked into it but am leaning against it. It just seems a tad bit involved for me. The theory sounds like it would work though.

Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com

so far everything is going good. i think it is to early the lady at the liquor store thought i was on crack when i was asking her about the different kinds of vodka i wanted to know what the difference between the 3 dollar bottle and the 40 dollar bottle was and she asked why i wanted to know so i told her and i don't think she believed me

so far everything is going good. i think it is to early the lady at the liquor store thought i was on crack when i was asking her about the different kinds of vodka i wanted to know what the difference between the 3 dollar bottle and the 40 dollar bottle was and she asked why i wanted to know so i told her and i don't think she believed me

which one did you end up buying?

Back