Hydrometer vs. Refractometer

you have to be careful with a refractometer also. I had a suspicion that mine was off because the tank read 1.030 and RO/DI measured .004. I checked it against another refractometer I had and sure enough the first one must have wandered.

Its not a bad idea to reference against a friends or good LFSs from time to time. These devices are not perfect and they will vary over time.

I use a refractometer - the 2 hydrometers I purchased when I started the tank had this very annoying habit of wandering indicators - which didn't work for me... what exactly was the true SG? 1.021 or 1.025? The needle would waver that far... the Refractometer I purchased can (and should) be calibrated, which eliminate erroneous readings. It is spot-on accurate.

I bought a refractometer about a month after I started the hobby.
kevins right about calibrating them.I check mine with RO water every time,before I test my tank with it.

I don't think that you would need to calibrate it every time, I calibrate mine about once a month and it doesn't seem to need any real adjustment.

Lol, I know a couple guys like that, but they almost always have gorgeous tanks and I doubt Yote is an exception.

Back