Hydrometers are FUBAR.....

Ninja Spear

Bloodsail Admiral
Is their a Shelf Life for Hydrometers? I was changing some water this weekend and Realized I had 2 Hydrometers. They Both Read Differently. They are Both Deep Six Hydrometers.

I was Pissed. Is Any Suggestions on a Good Meter? I will Buy one online and have shipped to me this week.

Yes they do have a shelf life, and that is where they should remain, on the shelf. Go with the refractometer! There is no better way.

Well. Many thanks. For 50 Bucks its worth it.

Once I get my new Meter I will Shoot the Old ones with some Bird shot so they wont bother me again.

I started off w/ a hydrometer. When I finally got a refractometer, I compared the 2 results, and my hydrometer was spot on with my refractometer. I was lucky, I guess, that it was still good. I believe my brother had it for a long time prior to me.

Hydrometers need to be replaced every six months. Buy a refractometer instead and all your troubles will disappear!!!

(Maybe not ALL your troubles...)

Got my Refractometer</SPAN> today, My Water was Salty as All get out.

I will Post a Pic pf All three Hyrdometers reading Differently.

Just make sure you calibrate the refractometer once in awhile. Mine usually goes off by like .001 every 2 months or so. So I calibrate it monthly.

Pardon my ignorance, but how DO you calibrate the refractometer? I know they all come with a type of adjustment. Where do you get the fluid to calibrate it? Are they properly calibrated when you first get one?

Thanks

A refractometer. Aren't they electronic?

........... oh I hope so or I just stuck my foot in my mouth. :shock: Insert boot - chew vigorously! :mrgreen:

Edit:
not too tasty

Last edited:
Pardon my ignorance, but how DO you calibrate the refractometer? I know they all come with a type of adjustment. Where do you get the fluid to calibrate it? Are they properly calibrated when you first get one?

Thanks

The best way to calibrate a refractometer,is to get a bottle of this Aqua Craft Refractometer Calibration Fluid - English

Its best to check the calibration on a new refractometer before you really trust it.You have no way of knowing how it was handled before it got to your door.

Back