Hyposalinity?

Gizmo

Reefing newb
Hi folks, I am in the process of setting up a 180 gallon tank I haven't had running in four years, and have decided I want to quarantine anything with gills that enters this tank due to ick outbreaks I had in the past, ussually after introducing a tang. So here's the ? I recently read an article about treating a fish in hyposalinity instantly after purchase. The author claims it's their anti ich method. I would like some of your feedback. Should you quarantine a fish in hyposalinity before it shows any sign of ick?

I believe that hyposalinity is a better, safer and easier method to use than copper. If you want to prevent ich in your tank, you are on the right track -- you will have to treat the fish before they go in your tank. Some people quarantine fish just to keep an eye on them and monitor them, then add them to the tank. But most fish can have ich and never show symptoms, so this approach won't keep it out of your tank.

Ok thanks Biff, one other thing I forgot to ask. Should the fish be acclimated to the hyposalinity tank? Because the author says not to, because you want any ich the fish might have to be shocked. But i'm curious if that would be to stressful on the fish?

Oh! so you bring the salainity down to 1.016 after the fish is in the tank. Good thing you made that clear.

Back