I added my first fish - 3 damsels

twps

Reefing newb
Even though the LFS guy tried hard to talk us out of buying them, we bought 3 damsels as our first livestock one domino, and two yellow tails (one is much larger than the other) Oddly enough the larger yellow tail has been in hiding in a cave since he was first introduced. He's not showing any signs of aggression at all, just very timid. The smaller yellow tail is somewhat shy, as it hides when you get near the tank, but will then come out timidly and swim around. The domino has not settled down, he's very hyper swimming everywhere and exploring.

I'm a little worried about the large yellow tail he hasn't come out for food and just stays in the cave as close to the LR as possible. The others can swim around him and share the spot with him, and he doesn't seem to care. It hasn't been a full 24 hours yet, so I'm guessing he'll get used to it soon. It seems like a waste of money for a fish that only hides all day.

Should I be concerned, or will he eventually come out of hiding?

He will come out. How would you feel if you where walking down the street one day and someone garbed you put you in a bag and shipped you across the planet and then dropped you on a street you didnt know. I would feel a little weird about it. :shock:

They will be out and harassing your other fish before you know it. There was a reason your LFS was trying to talk you out of getting them. They`ll probably be a time when you return them because of their aggressive nature.

If you can get them out.I have heard nothing but nightmare stories about the domino,the yellow tails are alot more laid back,but still a damsel

Dominos are some of the most aggressive fish you can put in your tank. 9 times out of 10, they will attack and kill the other fish in your tank -- even larger fish. The yellow tails are more peaceful, but still have very aggressive tendencies.

Why did you buy these fish, again?? ;)

I've heard the stories. But I've read a lot of good things too, and a friend of mine has a damsel only tank and has recently added a pair of clowns without any incident. Another person I know has all sort of different types in his reef, including a number of damsels. Both of these guys suggested I grab damsels as they swear by them for filler. I voiced my concerns about what I've heard and they said it was nothing to worry about.

Time will tell I guess.

If you plan to have a damsel only tank then it's fine.

I just hope you aren't cycling the tank with them. Is THAT why the LFS tried to talk you out of the damsels - because this is a brand new tank? If thats the case - then you should have taken their advice. Cycling tanks with live fish is how we USED TO do it, but we now know there are ways to cycle without putting a fish through all that stress. A fresh and unfrozen deli shrimp from the local grocery store deli counter will do the job for about 50 cents.

So whats the story?
Is this a brand new tank and you're cycling it with damsels?
Or is it already cycled and you are planning a damsel only tank?
Or do you think you know something everybody else doesn't and you're planning to try and keep 3 damsels in a 46g tank with other fish and expect them not to fight and be stressed all the time?

Inquiring minds wanna know...........

I did the yellow tail damsels in a tank once He was kinda mean and harrassing so I baited a net with some squid snagged him and banished him to the sump. A month or so later after I put other fish in the tank, I reintroduced him to the tank. Never had another problem outa him.

I've heard the stories. But I've read a lot of good things too, and a friend of mine has a damsel only tank and has recently added a pair of clowns without any incident. Another person I know has all sort of different types in his reef, including a number of damsels. Both of these guys suggested I grab damsels as they swear by them for filler. I voiced my concerns about what I've heard and they said it was nothing to worry about.

Time will tell I guess.
Damsels in sheeps clothing:lol: they are in the damsel family,like cousins i guess.

You ignored LFS advice over a few people who people who claim damsels are fine. Just so you know, FLS's usually want to sell and profit so if one actually tries to not sell you something you should seriously consider it because obviously heir main goal was not just to make a lousy profit...

Damsels will run the tank, any new fish you put in the tank after the damsels are most likely doomed. I would take the advise of others on here...

I have a 3-stripe damsel in my 29g frag tank.............

But I don't intend to EVER put any other fish in there. It is the ONLY fish in the tank and will remain the ONLY fish in the tank until it dies or the tank is taken apart. The reason why this little bugger is alone in a 29g frag tank is long winded, but it's not what you are probably thinking. You're probably thinking it's because I made the same mistake you did and bought a damsel, despite the warnings ...... only to realize it was aggressive and had to be removed from the main tank because it was killing other fish. Nope.

:mrgreen:

I really wish I could argue with the rest of the guys about the damsels.But the truth of the matter is,their called DAMN-sels for a reason.:D
The one yellow-tail I tryed to keep,killed EVERYTHING I tryed to add to my tank.Then when I'd decided I'd had enough of his crap.I got the nightmare of trying to catch him.That went over like a turd in the punch bowl.But I finally got him and hauled his butt to the LFS.
They put him in with a MUCH larger blue-spotted grouper,Horned Moray,and a big Clown Trigger.That night the eel ended up on the floor after closing.The Grouper and Trigger stayed cramped up in one corner of the tank.
The owner of the store finally GAVE that DAMN-sel to some lady that ONLY wanted that fish.

LOL thanks Yote I just rescued 2 Damsels from a leaking tank. I plan on removing them from the tank before adding more fish though.

There is a chance that they will be okay. It's a slight possibility that peace will be maintained. I have a Blue Devil Damsel in my tank and it gets along with several Chromis, 2 clowns, 3 tangs as well as some others. It is possible. Good luck!

I made the newbie mistake of starting off with two aggressive blue damsels,and they were aggressive towards everything. I was able to capture one, but still have his buddy...he's aggressive and bothers a lot of things, but since the removal of the other one, he's mellowed out a lot. Still likes to knock hermit crabs off rocks, which is actually kind of funny. I think in groups they can be worse.

Recently, I added a new damsel, but it's a smaller type that is not known to be aggressive (Talbot). So, some damsel species can be tolerated, and the aggressive types aren't always a tank-ruiner, it's a chance I wish I hadn't taken in the beginning.

I'm just glad I read about them here on and on RC before I bought ANY fish for my tank.
Saved me a lot of headaches. :)

Please don't think I'm ignoring anyone's advice here, and no I didn't add them to cycle my tank. I made my decision based on others experiences, and research I've done. This is my first tank and I obviously want to try things for myself. I'm the type of person to seek advice from multiple sources before I make my decisions on how to proceed.
Thanks for pretty much ignoring the initial topic of why my fish is acting strange, and everyone pointing out my "mistake". I truly thought this forum was a place where people could openly share and research without being made to feel stupid.

Actually, the very first two responses answered your question.

My blue chromis, which are in the damsel family, and which i can not seen to keep more than one alive at a time, hide in the rock before disappearing completely. But since they are brand new to the tank, I would give them a couple days before you write them off. Like others said, you just put them into a brand new environment and they just might be freaked out and need time to settle in.

Back