I added my first fish - 3 damsels

My Blue Damsel likes to hide or lurk in the rocks but darts out and across the tank often. He does not like to stay out into the open except during feedings.

Please don't think I'm ignoring anyone's advice here, and no I didn't add them to cycle my tank. I made my decision based on others experiences, and research I've done. This is my first tank and I obviously want to try things for myself. I'm the type of person to seek advice from multiple sources before I make my decisions on how to proceed.
Thanks for pretty much ignoring the initial topic of why my fish is acting strange, and everyone pointing out my "mistake". I truly thought this forum was a place where people could openly share and research without being made to feel stupid.

Dont go getting fired at us now.There was no intentions of making you "feel stupid"
Were just telling our experiences with damsles.We try to have fun while helping everybody out.
Plus not everybody has had problems with em.Their like any other fish in this hobby.There is a 50/50 chance of weather or not they'll act like everybody says they will.I've seen fish that were supposed to be peaceful,that were cold blooded killers and vice versa.Its just part of the hobby.
Then this is site is one of a kind.We'll debate over what :pooh: smells like just because.
Its just the nature of the site.

:lol:, who'd like to talk about ich and QTing again.....
Seriously though,just cool off,its a forum full of real people who are just trying to help

I'm a little worried about the large yellow tail he hasn't come out for food and just stays in the cave as close to the LR as possible. The others can swim around him and share the spot with him, and he doesn't seem to care. It hasn't been a full 24 hours yet, so I'm guessing he'll get used to it soon. It seems like a waste of money for a fish that only hides all day.

Should I be concerned, or will he eventually come out of hiding?

Did you see him eating at the LFS? My clowns I got a year ago did not eat for a couple of days, and everytime I move my one firefish, it hides out for days (this time, he's been hiding for 2 weeks now during this last final move to the 125g)...all I see of him is his tail. It's natural that they'll hide out. Same with my goby...when I first got him, I rarely saw him, but eventually came out more.

Can you try spot feeding the area where he's hiding out at? Nothing you can do, really. It's survival of the fittest. Give him time. He has to get used to his surroundings.

And to reiterate what Yote said, we do have a habit of straying from the original post, and yes we do sometimes forget the original issue. You just have to get everyone back on track. I know I've had posts asking for help, and my actual problem gets ignored, until I remind people 15 posts down what I needed help in :)

And to reiterate what Yote said, we do have a habit of straying from the original post, and yes we do sometimes forget the original issue. You just have to get everyone back on track. I know I've had posts asking for help, and my actual problem gets ignored, until I remind people 15 posts down what I needed help in :)

Do you mean I'm not the only ADD person on these forums?

Well I have 4 green cromis in my bigger tank. They have been just fine. I have actually thought of getting a couple of yellow tails as my last fish for this tank. I like the colors of them. We will see, the thing I like about damsels is the color and the fact that they are hardy and cheap.

Please don't think I'm ignoring anyone's advice here, and no I didn't add them to cycle my tank. I made my decision based on others experiences, and research I've done. This is my first tank and I obviously want to try things for myself. I'm the type of person to seek advice from multiple sources before I make my decisions on how to proceed.
Thanks for pretty much ignoring the initial topic of why my fish is acting strange, and everyone pointing out my "mistake". I truly thought this forum was a place where people could openly share and research without being made to feel stupid.

twps,

I'm not going to pile on as I'm also a newb. In the first couple of sentences you stated that you're new to the hobby as well, and then you said the word damsels. I can tell you from my short time on this forum that everybody is trying to look out for your best interests as well as the fish. Nobody is trying to make you feel dumb or that you made a mistake, they just want you to have a successful tank. That being said, if they recognize that something isn't "quite right" they're going to bring it to your attention. Again, becaus they want you to have success.

I've signed up to 2 different forums since starting, the first is local for me and Living Reefs. I can tell you that the people on this site know their stuff. The other site most people are shopping for "stuff". Check out the sales section of this forum, it's usually empty.(Nobody or maybe 1 or 2 viewing). The people here just want to talk about fish and corals. Because they enjoy it.

Any question that I've asked has been answered correctly and swiftly. Sure, their will be some debate now and again, but you have the opportunity to gain from alot of years of experience on this site. These folks have already saved me from myself more than once.

I would take advantage of it.

So let's hug it out and get you started off in the right direction!

The reason I joined this forum was due to the overall activity and responses from people I spent a lot of time here reading before I signed up. I apologize to everyone that I may have offended it did feel as though my decisions were being judged. This community is full of some serious reefers! I too hope to be able to be effective in the future in responding to questions, and share my own experiences. (which I'm sure will include my damsels ;) )

Well, often times, the written word usually comes out the wrong way. And sometimes, in a rush to get your post up, it does sound like someone's biting your head off. Gotta take things with a grain of salt, even if you feel like what someone said hurts. Shake it off, take a breather, and come back when you've calmed down and read the posts with a new eye. LOL I think people here do get passionate about their own personal experiences. Just like you were passionate about your damsel choice, as bad as that choice is --- SEE what I did there? I'm just joking! Hahaha :) :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

Sorry....it's been a long boring day! lol

We just don't want you to repeat our mistakes! I spent hours trying to catch one of my damsels.

Either way, if you enjoy them and have fun with them, that's what matters....

Oh, and WHERE ARE THE PICS???

Alex

The way I look at it, somebody's gotta buy damsels. (I'm certainly not going to).:bounce: You're just doing your part to stimulate the ecomony.

Enough ball bustin'..

No need to apologize, welcome to the forum.

See... Everyone should have to do it at least once! Then I too will have stories.

So he's coming out slowly, still a very timid fish. Last night the domino carried pieces of food and dropped them just outside of the little cave the timid one has made for himself. He'd pop out grab the food, and hide again. At first I thought this was a coincidence, but they did it 3 or 4 times.

Back