I am a grandpa 8 times!

Gooseman

Reefing Is An Obsession
8 new Banggai Cardinal baby's were born last night ... sorry for the crudeness of the pics ... its difficult to photo them when they are swimming wildly

3.jpg

4.jpg

Wow that's awesome! Is this the first time that they've been carried "to term"? Really great! I hope you can get some cool pics.

I have had them carry full term before but never saw them in the tank before ... i just happened to see my Red Velvet Wrasse chasing something and when i looked it was a newborn ... i have another cardinal carrying right now and hope to be able to capture those as well ... it is very difficult to know when they will drop them and be ready ... i may have just gotten lucky this time

i have set up a hospital tank for the babies but as far as catching mom or dad thats carrying ... not gonna happen ... i have been chasing cardinals for 8 months or better trying to catch them ... only way i will get them out of the DT is to remove all the LR and thats not gonna happen with the coral in there ... so i will do my best to raise the babies and hope for the best ... i will add a few more pics or a short video soon

When you see that daddy cardinal has a mouth full its usually about 24 days before the babies will be spit out.

You can catch him before he spits out his babies, I've done this many times in my reef tanks. At night make sure it is very very dark, get a spot light and have someone shine him with the light, he will freeze like a deer in the head lights, scoop him out and he should spit the young ones out in the net.

only problem with that is they retreat to the caves and over hangs when the lights go out ... i have tried everything so what i am going to do now is when i see the little fins sticking out of their mouths i know that they will release them most likely that night ... so i will just keep watch and scoop up the babies like i did this time ... hope it works out the same way ... will know in about a week or so when the other one drops out their babies

well just an update on the babies ... when i got home from work tonight one of the babies was floating ... so i am down to 7 now but all 7 appear to be eating and healthy ... will post more as things develop

when i had my banggais breeding
they had like 20 babies at one time and one by one they passed away somehow or got lost in the tank. till only one sole survior was left and then it passed away in a couple of months

probably cause they stopped living, just a hunch tho :mrgreen:

and if he knew, then wouldnt the story be different from "one at a time and one by one they passed away somehow or got lost in the tank"

well i can tell you that if they were left in your DT they had zero chance of survival ... they need a constant supply of food that is not present in the DT water column ... they have to be separated and feed frequently for them to have a chance to survive ... most likely yours starved to death

Back