I am clueless!!

michelle

Reefing newb
Hey,
So lets be upfront. I have never built/assembled ANYTHING! I can't even guarantee that I could drive a nail into a piece of board striaght. That being said...I am building (or at least attempting to) a canopy for the 72 gallon bowfront tank I am buying. (Yes I did ask your opinions on whether I should buy this used tank for $350 and the general consensus -100% consensus-was I shouldn't, but I can't afford it new, $1100 plus 15% tax is too steep for me and it's in good shape, it does have a couple of scratches, but...hey!)
Back on track-I have read through some of the articles and threads on here, and it doesn't seem like it would be an impossible job. the thing is I also want to build a sump. (go big or go home I always say) so I have a 20 gallon thats empty, or a 33 gallon housing a couple freshies-which could concievably be moved to the 20 freeing up the 33 for a sump.
blah, blah, blah...I seem to talk more when I really have NO IDEA what I am talking about.
How expensive would it be to set up a sump and does anyone have any advice on the canopy?
Basically, I am currently running 2 filters of the back of my aquarium and I don't see how I can leave them on the back of the 72 with a canopy, so, I was hoping to stick them on the smaller tank inside the stand. But then I know NOTHING about plumbling.
Maybe I shouldn't do this. Seems like a much bigger task now that I type it all out.
:pooh:

no. and i'd rather not drill it if possible.
or at least i don't think its pre drilled...hmmm, good to check on. (yes i know i am VERY inexperienced here:oops:)

Michelle,
If its not drilled,Then all you'll need to run a sump is a HOB overflow box.
And you know we'll walk you right through it.

they are actually helping me through this step right now. I built a sump out of a 20 gallon tank and so far I spent maybe 20 bucks to do it. I also found a mag 5 return pump and overflow box for 114.00 at petsolutions.com. My LFS wanted almost 150.oo for both. I will be ordring them at the end of the week. GOOD LUCK TO YOU !

Thanks guys!
It's overwhelming to think of it when you are starting out I guess. You guys are the best resource a person can have.
Thanks

First decided which one you want to do first. Then get the materials. Seeing you already have a empty aquarium I would build the sump. You'll have to measure the inside of the stand to see which aquarum will fit. Then all you need to do is get some baffles to silicon in it. Lowes will cut them for you free. Very easy to do. Tell yourself I can do this.

I did it. And that means ANYONE can do it.

The most expensive part of setting up a sump will be the overflow box and the return pump. A new overflow box can run you around $100, and the pump around the same, if not more.

okay, so i have someone telling me that you shouldn't use any wood other then cedar for a canopy. Says that anything else will cause mildew and therefore health problems. I am only bringing this up so i can shut him up. Canopies are usually pine or oak or whatever aren't they? are there mildew issues? Thanks

use hard woods like oak and juat stain them then put a coat of poylurithane (sp)on them to seal the wood. even just the stain will bo good. mine is stained with a wax based stain ant that is it. i would onnly use a hard wood. some people use popler. hard wood has cclosed pores that do not soak up things like soft woods do

Last edited:
hi michelle
a couple of questions
did you buy the bowfront?
if you did buy the bowfront, are you going to make the front of the canopy square or curved?

as far as wood goes, you can use pine, thats what most are made of anyway, you just need to put a couple of good coats of polyurethane on it

as far as the inside of the canopy you probably will want to paint that white to increase the light reflectancy

once you paint it or polyurethane it you have closed the pores of the wood

you are not going to have mildew issues because you will have a fan in the canopy moving air.

hi michelle
a couple of questions
did you buy the bowfront?
if you did buy the bowfront, are you going to make the front of the canopy square or curved?

as far as wood goes, you can use pine, thats what most are made of anyway, you just need to put a couple of good coats of polyurethane on it

as far as the inside of the canopy you probably will want to paint that white to increase the light reflectancy

once you paint it or polyurethane it you have closed the pores of the wood

you are not going to have mildew issues because you will have a fan in the canopy moving air.

I have to pick it up friday, and I am glad you posted. The question about the canopy being bowed or square...I was wondering if it would look stupid to square it? Just because of my lack of carpentry skills, I thought it would be easier:S
Thanks!

i would say if you have a lack of carpentry skills to go square
it will look fine
i will check my former posts, i posted plans for a canopy, that had an excel worksheet
once you put the dimensions in it even gave you a material list

its actually a simple build
the hardest part i think would be the lights, which should still be relatively simple

https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/...stand_construction_29-_55-_75_gallon_tank.doc

Last edited:
i would say if you have a lack of carpentry skills to go square
it will look fine
i will check my former posts, i posted plans for a canopy, that had an excel worksheet
once you put the dimensions in it even gave you a material list

its actually a simple build
the hardest part i think would be the lights, which should still be relatively simple

https://www.livingreefs.com/forums/...stand_construction_29-_55-_75_gallon_tank.doc

Thanks so much, I should have the tank by tomorrow...I will start my canopy this weekend!

100_7093.jpg

It looks like every other 72 Gallon Bowfront I am sure, But, here it is. I picked it up tonight. The Stand has a few scratches, but I think an extra coat of paint or two should fix it up.

Back