i cant get a picture but...

Brian_G

overly obsessed
i have this thing... we will call t a thing til i find out what it is. haha
well it looks like a anenome. it has white tips on the tentacles and the stalk is clear
its in a hole on a rock in a med flow area.
it wont show up on camera and i can pretty much only see it under actinic lighting because of its colors. any ideas anyone?

haha you think its gonna be harmful?

i didnt put a seastar in my tank that hitchhiked into the bag with my snails i got today just incase it was a coral eating one. i would have hated that.

Sounds like you have some type of anemone from the family corallimorphidae or ball anemone. Some are large enough to catch and eat small fish. Some stay small and will be no danger to fish. They have very sticky arms so if you plan on keeping it be careful not to mess with it too much. It is possible you may damage the arms. They do move around the tank till they find a spot they are happy with so be careful for that. They come in many different colors. Here are some pics.

Attachments

• Ball Anemone.jpg
    Ball Anemone.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 295
  • Ball Anemone2.jpg
    Ball Anemone2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 296
It does look like the one on the right with colors of the left one. Good work. I had no idea. I think I may get rid of it though

It wasn't a manjano. I would hope I don't get those. I know about them in your tank :/
the seastar had 6 arms and was blue. It was maybe a quarter of an inch across. I didn't know they would be that bad. Good thing I didn't add the little guy. By looking on google it did look like an asterina. Whew

Last edited:
+1 R
I'd leave it Brian.I've got several that live in a small colony on the back of one of my rocks.Their cool little guys that dont bother anything.

The ball anemones are beautiful. I used to have a few. Unfortunately, they usually don't live long for some reason. They are one of those "here today, gone tomorrow" types of hitch hikers.

Back