I don’t think there is enough water flow

Ariel110G

Reefing newb
So I have a 110G with a MegaFlow4 sump/refugim with a Mag 9.5 pump.
My thing is like this, I don’t think there is enough water flow, I will like to have more water overflowing the overflow box so more water can go down to the sump.
It looks like I have a lot off mall particles in the water, from looking at the sump it looks like not a lot of water is coming out off the 1st chamber into that black tray with the holes, & I think some water is just not being filtered. So I was thinking if I add a pump will that do the trick?
And if yes then what size Mag to get the same, or smaller?

I do have 3 Koralia power heads, 1 is a 1050 & the other 2 are the 1400

Attachments

• 09222011039.jpg
    09222011039.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 333
  • 09222011040.jpg
    09222011040.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
i dont think the mag 9.5 will be enough for you.. you have to remember between height back to the tank and any elbows and just piping itself you are probably lucky to be getting 600gph.. mag 12 probably would be more what you are wanting.. always better to go a little bigger then to slow.. a ball valve just after the pump can slow it down a little but you can never speed up a pump..

The overflow is gravity fed, so you're return pump isn't going to effect that. If you start moving more water from the sump to the display, the overflow will not automatically drain more water, you'll just run your sump out of water...

So are you looking for more drainage to the sump? If thats the case, you'll need either larger plumbing (only works to a degree) or another overflow (or a larger one)

I think ill be better with just having more flow for my tank, so ill go with just a bigger return pump, my sump and over flow can handel it, ill get a mag1200 or a maxijet1335

If you want more flow through your sump,then step the return pump up to a Mag 12.But be aware that if the drains or overflow wont handle the extra flow,then you'll have go bigger with them too.

I personally like a slower flow through the sump myself.that way your skimmer has more time to remove the organic waste.

If you want more flow through your sump,then step the return pump up to a Mag 12.But be aware that if the drains or overflow wont handle the extra flow,then you'll have go bigger with them too.

I personally like a slower flow through the sump myself.that way your skimmer has more time to remove the organic waste.

Well I think for my tank & the bio load that I have, more flow will be good,
I have the MegaFlow4 & it came with the over flow that has 2 lines comeing out of it, & the Megaflow4 is good for us to 155G & 210G tanks, so I dont think ill have a problem with it handling the extra flow & my skimmer is a hang over so its not in the sump. so my thing is now what pump to get the mag1200 or the MaxiJet5500?

Back