I don"t konw why?

newbeetwo

Here to 8 on the break
Went to bed Thur. night tank look good new coarls doing good. all the testing look real good.... Got up Friday morning made my coffee got my cup went to the tank turn on the lights AND the fish were crazy swimming fast...up..dpwn ... running into each other.. you know crazy like... So got my teat kits out and the AMMONIA was off the charts 8.0 as dark green as I have ever seen!!!!!!!!!! WHY ??? What happen I don't understand... I did a 40gal. water change at 6:30 in the morning... came home at lunch fish were better but the coarls still did not look good... did another test ammonia was alot better but still its was 0.25 I added more water & kent marine-c... & prime ammonia remover.. I think I lost my big lether took it out put it in my quarantine tank. but all the stuff in my tank is still slow to come out ( open up all the way )...WHY can anyone tell me what I did or what I need to do or look for ? I an lost and all my reading nowhere does anything explain this HELP. I have WAY to much money in this now to make a mistake like this....:frustrat:

#1 Are all your fish accounted for?
#2 Have added any fish in the last few days? If so how many,what kind,and how big?

The only thing I can think of that would cause an ammonia spike like that is either died or adding fish to quick.

Re: I don"t know why?

I put in 3 coarls and 1 mandarin. But they have been in my tank 9 days or so. and yes all fish are there 8 fish are all I have.

How long has it been since you added the last fish?

I dont know Lisa.About all I know to do then is just keep an eye on every thing.I'd test every day for at least the next week or so.Keep a close eye on nitrite and nitrates as well as PH.
Usually after an ammonia spike you'll see a nitrite spike followed by nitrates.So be ready to do big water changes of at least 50%.

Can you post a run down of every thing done with your tank for last 2 weeks?That might help us figure out what went down.

Is doing so many water changes good or will it kill my bacteria ?.. I have a ro system I have all the water I need and will do as many changes as it takes...All the other test are still good ...I test every day have sence I started. this hobby!!! I know its not e.z but I was not ready for this...Thank you for replying so fast!!! I was hoping some one was up this early to help !!! I did not sleep at all last night got up 4 times to test...

last fish was 7 days ago it was the mandarin I had one... it so nice so I went back and got another it was to be a girl I already had the boy BUT it turn out to be another boy they fight but I have a 100 gal. and there is room for them to get away from each other.. I got the 3 coarls I did the hang the bag in the tank to get them ready to put in my tank slowly added my water... took about 2hr. did a water change on wed.of that same week... they all look good.. I posted pic.. you can look at them.. the big lether is the only one that never really open up.. I had so red slimey algae apier alittle I got it out when I did the water change other than that nothing else all the same as for the last 9mo. hope this will help you help me thanks again

here it t=my leather now I don't know if its dead or dieing can you tell its about 3in. shorter!!

Picture161.jpg

Lisa,It sounds like your as paroniod as I am about my tank,lol.
I dont know caused the ammonia.It could have been any number of things.A big pod die off will do it.Maybe something fairly good sized that hitchhiked in on your rock.
Just keep a close eye on it.
The water changes want hurt anything.There actually good for your tank.
I will suggest that you change out 10 to 20% of your water once a week.

Good luck with it,and sorry I cant be of more help.

And keep us posted on it.

Like Yote, I am guessing that something died. If not one of your corals or fish, something in your tank that you didn't know was there. I can't think of any other reason why your ammonia would spike so high so quickly. And in a 100 gallon tank, I don't think it is that you have too many fish.

The leather looks healthy,you should only worry if it start to look like its melting.Leathers may take a couple weeks to open when introduce to a new system.

Sorry about the ammonia spike.Something had to die to cause such a large spike.You mention that no fish died,what about snails and corals.Did any of them die?What about the water....did it look foggy?If so,then the bacteria is free-floating in the water column.Doing massive water changes now will reduce ammonia but its going to remove the bacteria in this case.If anything looks like it might not make it,put in QT and ride it out.

sorry to hear about that. maybe somebody doesnt like you and dumped piss in your tank... that would do it. but we all like you so im sure that didnt happen.

seriously though like everyone else said something dying is the only thing i can think of

thanks so much I can't see but 3 of my snalis I had 5 and I have been looking for them maybe one of them died. the water is clear has not been foggy at all.. the only coarl that look bad is the one in the pic... It was out and look good for about 3 days then started look sad-ish... thats the only thing in my tank that has showed any change... befor the spike as the day is going the rest of them are looking better... I don't know much about a QT tank I have nothing in mine but 1 power head light , heater... does it need to cycle as well how does the bacteria live... I such a newbe sorry

funny you say that......my ole man said the same thing...... but he is the only one in the house besides me.........HOLD ON WHILE I GO KILL HIM LOL

Did you change a filter pad? Change the sump or remove a pump or anything to do with the filter? Did you change anything in the filtration system?

man! that would have to be a massive die off for ammonia to spike like that in a 100 gallon tank. are you shure that nobody added any top off water with your mop bucket that may have had some ammonia cleaner in it? or do any massive spraying with windex around the tank?

I use windex but I put it on my towel befor I clean no spraying But I did cut the bottom out of the big windex bottle to used as a funnel but I wash it out good... real good could this have don't it.

I change the filter pad on my last water change on wed. and wash out the one on the top maybe this did it.. I just don't want to EVER do this again I ya'll can figuer this out thanks again for all the feedback

i'm not sure how long ammonia can hang around in a container, or if it can be washed out very good. i have allways been told not to use a container that has ever had ammonia in it at any point and time on a tank. so, that very well could have been what happened to you. which, is a good thing. that means a lot of something didn't die in your tank. i would ditch the funnel and see what happens.

yes I totally agree. never use a container like that. I always see it as better safe than sorry, hell a funnel at the store is like 75 cents. also I never use windex or anything like that on my tank glass. same reason, would just rather be safe than sorry. I find if you just get a damp cloth then wipe it really good dry cloth it works just as good. maybe start doing this too just to be extra cautious.

Back