I don't know what is going on

pabloescobar

Reefing newb
Ok well i have been trying to cycle my tank for a month now and i thought it was done cycling. Over night i got a brown algae out break and the levels have changed.

ph 8.2
amonia less than .25 ppm
nitrite 0
nitrate 0

This algae just is everywhere. I don't know what to do to get rid of it. I have cleaned the tank and it just starts to settle again. I also added a hang on filter temporarly to help the main filter get this out.

what else can i do?

Hello and welcome to the site...the brown algae is just diatoms, all new tanks have them. They are also fueled by extra nutrients in the water. Are you using tap water or ro/di water?

+1 Smitty....the algae is normal. And it's definitely important what type of water you used. If it's just treated tap, you continue to have algae problems. But if you used rodi, then you should be ok. How did you cycle the tank? Food? Shrimp?

Yes it will. It happens to all of us in the beginning. It will go away on its own. Don't panic -- it's not hurting anything! It just looks ugly.

If you increase your water flow that will help. It will go away when it runs out of it's food source. Additional water changes will help too.

When the tank's fully cycled, get some nessarius to help stir the sandbed. I have a diamond watchman goby that keeps my sandbed totally clean (he clouded up the tank for the first couple of weeks, but now, he sifts all day long, and no dust clouds. My sand is super clean!

The drawback is if you plan on having corals, the gobies tend to spit the sand on the corals and irritate them hehehe

Back