I don't want to be cheated by Cheato!

Altohombre

The Tennis Pro Reefer
I'm not really close (personally or locally) to anyone in my local reefers group and none of the LFS seem to have cheato when I go in so I am thinking of getting it through ebay. The shipping for Dr. Fosters was too expensive. I know Biff mentioned getting some of hers from ebay, so I was wondering which vendor or site she recommends or anyone else's recommendation. In addition, I want to get the best nutrient exporter to help aid in my hair algae reduction and also as a place to breed copepods for my Mandarin. This would be placed in my display tank behind some rocks. Would you guys recommend Cheato or some of the other macro algae?

Chaeto would be best IMO

Alto do you have an old HOB impellor type filter from a freshwater set up? The kind that take the cheap filter pads? If you do take all of the pads out and use that as a cheap HOB fuge. Even if you dont have one they are cheap get the two pad one for extra size if you have room or the one pad if you dont. You can get the double for less than 50 bucks and the single for under 30. They only need a few inches of space behind the tank and I think you are still running a HOB skimmer. I personally would keep chaeto out of my display.

grape caulerpa grows 10 times faster than my chaeto in the fuge, plus the tangs and angels LOVE it. I throw away a handful once a week. Others have bad things to say about caulerpa, but its been good to me for a year so far. I've heard it can "go sexual" and release a mess of spores all over the tank, but that hasn't happened.

Ryan I have an extra Top Fin HOB filter for my 10g if that is what you mean? What would I put in it? Just the cheato or other stuff?

no clue, and i have no idea how to ship it either. I assume just algae in a bag w/ water and in a box. Since its just chaeto, i guess it will be ok.

I'll totally send you a fistfull. Shouldnt cost that much, doesnt weigh much. You pick the courier & shipping type and i'll send it.

I don't remember which vendor I got mine from on Ebay, but I paid $5 for a small ziplock bag full. You don't need to start off with much more than a handful, since it grows so fast.

Yep Alto that is exactly what I was talking about. But some LR rubble at the bottom(if you want to) or just put some chaeto in it. Instant fuge with no fuss.

Depending on how long you're willing to drive, I'm pretty sure that both Absolutely Fish (on Route 46 in Clifton) and Tropiquarium (on Route 35 in Ocean) have Chaeto for sale. I've been in both recently (~past 3 weeks) and IIRC they both have a good stock.

All you need is a moist ziplock bag to ship it in, mine came from ebay regular USPS ground, arrived in 3 or 4 days, and it was fine, no need for heat packs. Expensive shipping is not necessary IMO, its just algae.

Southern california is far from paradise. gridlock everywhere, toxic air, brown skies, brown...well, everything. I'd kill for the chance to escape and move north east.

Back