I got eggs!

Those egg pics are def pic of the month material!! You have come a long way on taking pics:Cheers:

Thank you! I'm going to try to get some less blurry pics of the eggs this weekend. They are set back into the tank a little bit, and they are so small that it's hard. But I'll keep practicing!

I've been reading up on clownfish breeding tonight. According to what I've read, my eggs should be hatching any night now -- maybe even tonight.

I don't recall ever seeing a thread about someone trying to breed clownfish on this site. I've decided that if my clowns lay eggs again, I'm going to try to raise the babies, and all that entails. I'll set up their own little tank, and I'll have to start culturing my own plankton and rotifers, but that seems to be the easy part.

I don't know if my clowns will even mate again -- they've been together for years and this is the first time they've laid eggs. So we'll have to see! But I'm excited if they do lay eggs again. Then I can start setting stuff up. And of course, start a new thread about it :)

well i wish these eggs were the ones you were going to raise but i understand not being able to do it.

Hey are you still using that point and shoot that you had in vegas or do you have a new camera?

My clowns breed all the time. It is takes about 11 days for the eggs to hatch 2 days for daddy to fatten back up and away we go. He guards the eggs pretty much none stop until they hatch.

I know fresh water is different than salt water, but I had cichlids that would spawn and I would say one out of every batch survived to adult hood. Never took any sort of measures to keep them alive. The fry would fall into the rock work and then emerge a few months later large enough to not get eaten by the other fish. There is hope biff:Cheers:

What if you took the eggs out and put them in a tupperware container? If my clowns laid eggs id try to save them, im jealous!

They'd starve to death. They eat very specialized foods that you have to culture yourself.

well i wish these eggs were the ones you were going to raise but i understand not being able to do it.

Hey are you still using that point and shoot that you had in vegas or do you have a new camera?

I know, I feel bad when I look at these guys. I know they're doomed! This is the same camera. I just learned to use it!!

Biff,If I'm thinking right.Your clowns should spawn about every 30 days once they start.

I hope so! That'd give me time to start making their foods.

I would love to have a couple babies Biff. That is baby fish; when you raise some. :)

If I end up with some, you've got first dibs!

50 clowns at 15 a clown, you could make some money

Even if only 5 or so survive a month, that's still a nice chunk of change.

Yeah if they survive I would take 2

Awesome!

My clowns breed all the time. It is takes about 11 days for the eggs to hatch 2 days for daddy to fatten back up and away we go. He guards the eggs pretty much none stop until they hatch.

The male does seem to be a lot more protective than the female. Did any of your babies ever survive?

I know fresh water is different than salt water, but I had cichlids that would spawn and I would say one out of every batch survived to adult hood. Never took any sort of measures to keep them alive. The fry would fall into the rock work and then emerge a few months later large enough to not get eaten by the other fish. There is hope biff:Cheers:

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

You probably already have seen this site but I thought I would post it for you, lots of great info.

MOFIB - Marine Ornamental Fish & Invertebrate Breeders - Marine Fish Breeding / Saltwater Fish Breeding / Marine Invertebrate Breeding

Thanks -- that is one I was looking at last night.

The eggs hatched last night! No sign of any babies this morning. The other fish probably enjoyed their midnight snack.

I will be out of town for work for the next week, but when I get back I am going to order the plankton and rotifer cultures to start growing baby clownfish food. Maybe the next clutch will have a chance at survival.

Back