I got started today!

JBender

Reefing newb
Hey guys I just wanted to share that I finally got my tank up and running for day 1 of cycling! It even came with a protein skimmer that I had no idea about. Anyways, I got things going without too much trouble and anything I had questions about everyone was very helpful so I just wanted to say thanks again and cant wait to get my tank up and runnung.
140730-212758.jpg

Congrats. Let the fun begin. All worth it In the end. Trust me. Newbie here too. !!' Great site. !! Hope to follow along with lots of pics !

Bad choice to put in coral on day 3 of cycling. Your tank is going to be going through some rapidly changing parameters which is no good for any fish or coral. Slow down, take a deep breath and let your tank get through the cycle.

Ok thanks. Hopefully it might survive but just in case I didn't drop a lot of money on it, about 35 bucks, they only thing that made me antsy was because in the love rock I bought I found two emerald crabs and its been about two and a half days and they are okay. So that made me hopeful to think my tank might be able to support some life. What do u think is a good timeframe for getting a clean-up crew in there?

Apparently you got live rock from your LFS kept it wet and put it in your tank? If so, there may be enough bacteria on the rock to keep you from having a major cycle. BUT please wait on adding anything else until you are sure your parameters are stable and your live rock has more time to mature and maintain your nitrogen cycle.

Ok thanks. Hopefully it might survive but just in case I didn't drop a lot of money on it, about 35 bucks, they only thing that made me antsy was because in the love rock I bought I found two emerald crabs and its been about two and a half days and they are okay. So that made me hopeful to think my tank might be able to support some life. What do u think is a good timeframe for getting a clean-up crew in there?
Corals are actually living things doesn't matter it only cost you. $35. You need to slow down do some research in cycling and respect all living creatures be it a crab,coral or fish. Ask questions and listen $ learn.

I like to wait a month for the beginner diatom break out. Only add a couple after that.

Ok, yea I did get my rock from the store down the road. But u guys must know what its like starting your first tank, youre bound to make mistakes u know, im just going off a collective amount of info that im getting from about 30 different ppl.I wasnt planning on adding anything else. But the day after I put my coral in I had a nice brown algae bloom all over the tank. :D
1407092605952.jpg

Back