I guess I should do this some time.

supernatureal

Reefing newb
Well I am new to saltwater. Jumped in fast. I origanally was only going to start with a 20 gal even thought my wife would have been pissed off at me. I have two frog terrariums that I am now trying to sell. Wife said frogs or fish. So the 80 gal terrariums is getting turned back into a fish tank. The two tree frogs and one chuby frog are now in a 35 gal terrarium waiting to be sold. They were in the 80 before. I have another terrarium which is a 40 gal breeder with a fire belly toad and two bubble bee gobys (fresh water kind) and a dwarf puffer and lots of snails. When I get home I will post pictures of terrariums.

Now I am working on converting the 80 (3ft x 2ft x 2ft) to a saltwater. Have got most but not all. I have the return pump (Mag 9.5 $30.00 used) Lights free, tank from craigs list a year ago ($100.00 with stand) about 90 lbs of live rock, and some fish which I will list below. The other day last week I replied to an ad on craigs list about some fish. Actually I was wanting to know want they were doing with the live rock when they sell their fish. She said I could have the rock when she sells the fish, but that the rock in covered in hair algea. I said no problem I can deal with it. Ok Thursday come around and someone was suppose to pick up the fish and never showed. She asked if I could tank the fish also. Of course I said yes. I had to work on friday and could not pick up untill Sunday because she was going to be out of town for the weekend. Sunday night come I call and go over about 7:30 PM, 25 minute drive spend hour and half there and she gives me all this for free:
clown fish
two anonomes
lawn mower blemy
starfish (one croked unfortunualy)
one big turbo snail bigger than a golf ball (he has not moved hopefully he has not crocked either)
some small snails and hermit crabs
a crab that we found when scooping the sand out still have not dug him out yet I saw him the other day just a short glimps
25 pounds of hair algea infested live rock
corallife pur flow 2 RO/DI unit
a broke skimmer with a maxi jet 1200
three more maxi jet 1200 power heads and a natureal wave power strip
and some other small stuff.
the only thing she wanted money for was a refractormetor she paid $45 and took $20

I plan on drilling the back with a glass-holes kit and making a rubber maid sump.
right now just keeping things alive untill that happens. Once done I will do a build thead from when I first got the tank to a terrarium and to a fish tank again.

Sounds like an awesome deal. Is that skimmer by any chance a seaclone? If so, it's not a very good skimmer and I'd suggest you keep that MJ1200 and get a better skimmer. What kind of lights did you end up with? That nem is going to need powerful lighting. It sounds like you are off and running to a good start. Dont hesitate to ask for help . We are all happy to assist.

Yes it was a seaclone. Peice of crap but was not going to tell here I will not take it. It had a MJ1200. Right now I have a two bulb 96 wat PC light.

That light is probably not going to cut it for that nem. I'd look at upgrading the lights soon. As for the skimmer, xxknuckleheadxx is a dealer and can help get you a new one, or as you seem to have already figured out there are deals to be had on Craigslist.

Welcome to the site. You did get a smoking deal. However, that light is still not enough for your nem. Look for an up-greade, you wanna push 4 watts per gallon of water. Anemones need very strong light, and the water peramiters need to be spot on. Get a light, and a skimmer and you're in business.

Let me clairify the light each bulb is 96 watts and there are two. for a total or 192 watts.
Yeah, fast is right, that light isn't going to cut it for the nem. Look at adding some T5's or a halide if you want to keep the nem, or consider trading it to the LFS for some credit. Don't let too much time go by. Nems will look healthy all the way up to the point that it's too late, then you go to remove it from the water and it will literally disintegrate. The thousands of pieces all carry toxins and usually cause the whole system to crash.

Ok fish tank is next to table and we were eating dinner when the kids wanted to see the fish eat. At night I usually feed the meat meals. When out of the corner of my eye I some something zip out and then back to a rock. Now when I got this stuff from the lady who just gave me it to me (read the first part of the thread) she said she when she would add new small fish they would disappear. Well I found the culprit. It was a mantis shrip. At spending about a half hour to fourty five minutes I got these pictures. I have to say that they are fast little things. How do I get ride of him?

Attachments

• P1240348.jpg
    P1240348.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 242
  • P1240327.jpg
    P1240327.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 238
  • P1240328.jpg
    P1240328.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 252
The problem is that that rock is one at the bottom of a pile two I have a small feather duster and and sponge atached to that rock. Other wise I would say OK. Any other options. Do the traps work.

Although,I've never use the trap.People in our local club have use them with success.

Good hunting and welcome to the site.

(only 15,000 more post to go)

All though I got a good deal I am starting to think I got the short end as I have found three night dwelling hairy crabs that I think might be gorlia crabs. When I can get a picture I will post. May have to trap them first as they are very skitish and hate light.

Back