I hate Snails!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigH55

I'm that guy
Awoke last night to the sound of water soaking my carpet and dripping into a power strip. A snail managed to find his way around the eggcrate and get stuck in the overflow pipe to my sump. The clog caused my frag tank to overflow making a huge mess all over the carpet and the shelf i keep the frag tank on. And you know this stuff never happens at like six oclock in the evening, its always at 2-3 in the morning. I managed to get everything dry now and its all up and running now.

That happened to me a couple months ago. Damn turbo was exactly the same size as the drain. Made a horrible sucking sound, which brought me a-runnin'. Luckily this happened at 9pm. Screened that sucker off immediately, and swapped the turbos for smaller snails.

Dude, that sucks. Sorry to hear about the damage. :( Too bad we can't put on/off switches on our snails and hermits... maybe that way people wouldn't be hating so much :P

By the way, what kind of screen can you use over an overflow? besides egg crate, or in addition to

I haven't had that happen.......... yet.

My snails are always crawling over my corals. It's fine once the corals are firmly rooted and attached to the rock. But when I have new corals it's always a pain in the ass to keep them attached for the first 2 or 3 months. Damn snails crawl all over them and knock them over.

I'm going to start eating my snails. See my signature.......... :mrgreen:

I haven't had that happen.......... yet.

My snails are always crawling over my corals. It's fine once the corals are firmly rooted and attached to the rock. But when I have new corals it's always a pain in the ass to keep them attached for the first 2 or 3 months. Damn snails crawl all over them and knock them over.

I'm going to start eating my snails. See my signature.......... :mrgreen:

Too funny, Rc:D

Sorry to hear about the flood. I think we all will encounter flooding in this hobby, if we haven't already. I guess it would have been useful to have a float switch at the very top of the tank that shuts off the entire system in case the water gets too close to the rim of the main tank.

I was thinking about doing 2 auto-shut off switches....one on the top of the main tank in case the overflow gets clogged and one in the sump in case the return pump dies. Better safe than sorry, i say!

thats a bummer. Snails piss me off sometime too when they fall on their back for no damn reason and force me to put my hand in the water to flip them over.

Remember this BigH.
If you aint floodin,you aint reefin:D

I just cut some plexi-glass and fixed it to the top of my overflows.A snail may climb on top of it,but he aint gettin in the overflow.

hahaha! I can't believe you chucked him across the yard. This definitely should have been videotaped. I don't like snails either because they are dumb, do very little cleaning, and die easily.

Probably a little strange, but certainly effective....I used the tops of spice bottles...the kind with the flip-up lid....and placed them over the tops of my drain pipes They fit well, can't be knocked off by my snails, and can also be closed to stop the drain during feedings or water changes.

Probably a little strange, but certainly effective....I used the tops of spice bottles...the kind with the flip-up lid....and placed them over the tops of my drain pipes They fit well, can't be knocked off by my snails, and can also be closed to stop the drain during feedings or water changes.

Wow! That's a great idea!:^:

Back