I hate that people only frag corals...

koda_dad

Mr. Paranoid
Almost all (with the exception of one) will only sell frags of whatever corals they bring in. Ie not colonies...

I for one would at least like the option to buy the larger colony.

I love watching things grow... but I also think it looks stupid to have a frag of 4 zoas or a 1/2" piece of sps in a 150 gallon tank for example...

I get it....they make more money but when you factor in the time to frag these.... there has to be money in selling colonies too?

This bug anyone else?

Nope, I actually prefer it, because when they frag it, they leave a bit of the mother colony in their tank, so that one colony can keep giving frags and frags for years, which means that no more of that coral needs to be collected from the wild, thus conserving the natural ecosystem.

The LFS in Houston sell both. In fact I was quite dissapointed that I couldn't find many people selling small frags for a while. But I totally understand where you are coming from frags may work for me and my lil 29G but not for a 150.

You may have to look online for whole colonies especially SPS corals.The Diver's Den section of Live Aquaria has many SPS corals and whole colonies of ricordeas and zoas.Whatever you do,stay away from maricultured SPS,they tend to brown out.

You pretty much have to go straight to distributors to get the good deals on colonies... Its more profitable for LFS to get large specimens from their distributors and break it up and sell each piece for equal or even more than what they payed for the large chunk =P
I know this b/c my buddy worked at a pet store and since they didn't carry saltwater he had to special order everything and the distributor designated him as the "Saltwater representative" for their store lol. Long story short he would get huge specimens from them at the price people pay for much smaller pieces!

Nope, I actually prefer it, because when they frag it, they leave a bit of the mother colony in their tank, so that one colony can keep giving frags and frags for years, which means that no more of that coral needs to be collected from the wild, thus conserving the natural ecosystem.

Thats how the LFS I help at does it.We keep the mother colonies in our growout systems and sale the frags.However we WILL price the colonies if asked.We'll also order whole colonies if the customer asks and pays a deposit.
So theres another option.See if your LFS will order colonies for you.

There is also online stores that give you large specimens for what you pay(like if you order a 4 head frogspawn, that is usually at LEAST 4 heads so you might get more)... just keep a look out for the good ones.

Koda, I buy all these colonies but on the front of SPS I would rather buy them as frags because they can growout to the spots that I put them in, for example, a more restricted spot in width will make it grown upwards instead of out.

But my LFS does not sell frags really, he sells only what he gets in. So I am constantly asking him for SPS frags which he is going to do when some growout more. Also when new pieces come in and some has broken off it.

So im on the opposite end, I have no LFS in melbourne that I know that sells frags.

Should I say It???????? Blame Canada! :mrgreen: j/k j/k.

I prefer frags because you pay little for the frag then make it back whenever you sell frags from your frag.

Koda, I buy all these colonies but on the front of SPS I would rather buy them as frags because they can growout to the spots that I put them in, for example, a more restricted spot in width will make it grown upwards instead of out.

But my LFS does not sell frags really, he sells only what he gets in. So I am constantly asking him for SPS frags which he is going to do when some growout more. Also when new pieces come in and some has broken off it.

So im on the opposite end, I have no LFS in melbourne that I know that sells frags.

Ok that is a decent reason...I don't believe its the reason stores do it... but a good reason.

I personally prefer frags so I don't contribute tonstuff being pulled off a reef.

Occasionally I stray as I did today, but I feel better with frags.

Back