I Hate this brown algae

does it look slimy = cyano. it is more thank likly just diatoms and that is the first one than you have to battle the rest of them as they come. and they will come

As you get deeper into the hobby, it will be crucial to use a camera to identify things. Don't worry too much about the algae this early on. Everyone battles it at first. Best advice on getting rid of any algae: use a multi-pronged approach! Like clean up crew, protein skimmer, water changes, brushing rock, maybe a little 'Red Slime remover' (I used it once), charcoal, phosphate absorbing media, and maybe a few algae eating fish or urchins.

I agree with everyone, bet its diatoms...it will go away in time, just stay on top of maintenance...we all have gone thru that stage.

100_0393.jpg

100_0394.jpg

100_0397.jpg

100_0392.jpg

That's just the first algae you'll have to deal with. Once your tank is cycled you'll be able to clean some of it out.

So whats a decently price HoB skimmer that would work well with my tank til this summer when i figure out how to build my own sump and set it up?

If your going to build a sump later on I would get a skimmer that can be a HOB or in sump type. Check out the Octopus brand. That's what most are recommending.

Back