i have a film at the top of my tank

kyle

Reefing newb
i have this film at the top of my tank on the water and i was wondering if it somthing to be worried about i tryed to skimm it whn i was doing a water change but it didnt seem to much will it hurt my fish ?

Its protein probably, do you have a powerhead you can aim at the surface to keep the stuff in suspension so that your skimmer can get ahold of if?

I just started a post about this a week or so ago on 4 different forums. Its most likely protein scum or "dissolved proteins" and its common. You can get rid of some by scooping out surface water and replacing with equal volume. You can also get a good protein skimmer and lastly, as a temporary measure, you can point the power head more towards the surface.

the more agitation you have on the surface of the water, the less film you will have to worry about. if you suspend the film in the water column, the protein skimmer has the chance to get rid of it. pointing powerheads toward the top of the water has a dual purpose of oxygenating the water better for your fish.

-Doc

Back