I have ICH YAY!!!

JohnVH

Reefer Madness
I am currently battling a bout of ICH. I want to take the Hyposalinity route as I think it is easier on the fish. I know that this is not an easy approach but treating with Copper will not be easy either. I only have a 20 gallon tank to use as a quarantine tank, so I was thinking that I would quarantine my inverts and the few small frags that I have along with my most thriving live rock. I think trying to catch or trap the fish will stress them out even more, and housing them together in a smaller tank with less places to hide will be hard on them. I would like to treat them via Hyposalinity because I believe it will be easier on the fish (not on me). I know that controlling the PH will be challenging and I will be using Sodium Carbonate, I will not be using any PH buffers from the LFS. I know that this sounds like a backwards approach. One of the reasons I want to treat in the DT is that I want to make sure that I eradicate it in my DT as well as my auto top off should make it easier to maintain a SG of 1.008 –1.009 (I have a refractometer) when I safely get it down to that. The fish are all still very active and eating very well. I could wait and see if they pull through but I know that the ICH will eventually return. I do not quarantine new additions but I will now that I have an extra tank to do so. My Parameters are all fine.
Ammo=0
Nitrite=0
Nitrate=0 - Trace - API Color Test
PH=8.1
Phos=0 – Trace

Current stock fish:
2 Clown fish 1.5” ea.
1 Coral Beauty 2.5”
1 Flame Angel 2”
1 Yellow Tang 2” (Tang Police please don’t charge me)
1 Lawnmower Blenny 2.5”

Current stock Corals and Inverts:
2 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Serpent Star
6 Blue legged Hermits
4 Scarlet Hermits
12 Nassarius Snails
4 Cerith Snails
2 Bumble Bee Snails
2 Red Banded Turbo Snails
Several Small colonies of GSP’s
2 Small Candy Canes
Several Small Mushrooms
2 Small Xenias
1 Small colony Button Polyps
1 Small colony Clove Polyps

There is no aggression between my Angel fish they get along fine as a matter of fact all the fish get along very well they all graze along side of each other with out fighting.
My tank has been cycled for 4 months. So what do you think about the approach I would like to take (Am I high for wanting to do it this way)

Thanks Biffer
Yes I have read that article it is the basis of my decision. I will be trying to save as much of my live rock as possible and I will be constantly monitoring my parameters and I will be doing many water changes.

For your frags, do you have an adequate light that you can put on the 20g? I only ask because I tried to move a coral to a small tank to QT it and I practically killed it in a few days due to inadequate lighting. If you don't have an adequate fixture for the 20g, then I'd suggest either finding a local reefer who can house your corals temporarily, or maybe finding a deal on CL for a decent used light. And good luck!!!

Yes I have a 36" T5 dual. Coralife just replaced my T5 quad that 1 ballast stopped working on so I have the working half on the quarantine tank and the new one on the DT. Coralife really came through for me on that fixture.

Back