I have one seriously LAME FISH

Alexander

Reef enthusiast
Im sure there are many of you out there that share the same situation as me here. I bought this orange spotted goby about a month ago becasue they lool so good, and every time I would see them in a bay at my LFS they always catch my eye.

orange-spotted_goby_3.jpg

well this is a picture I found. Reason being is it would be a snowballs chance in hell that I could catch him in my tank for long enough to take a picture of him. once he got comfortable in my tank he built his little cave in the rock on the backside where its near impossible to see. So now all he does is sit back there and eat my food whenever I drop it in there. Things could be worse, I could have bought something that started bullying my fish, but I am just not feeling the satisfaction out of this $22 waste of a trip to my fish store. It almost makes me feel like getting all "Yote" on him and dangling a tasty shrimp down there attatched to a hook and yanking his A$$ out of there!

Okay there is my venting for the day.

They do a good job of shifting the sand.Why not keep it.I could be wrong,but that Diamond Goby may have a symbiotic relationship with certain Pistol Shrimp.Get it a buddy!I seen to many of those not eating fish food and starving.Consider yourself lucky and enjoy the little guy.

he must be doing it on HIS time then, becasue i havent seen him sift once at all. Feeding isnt easy, I have to carefully place the food in there so the current will take it to his area, he will not usually venture more than a few inches for food, so its a strategy every day. I have thought about the pistol shrimp, however that would probably just mean i have 2 things together i never see instead of one. Funny how it works thought because I have a pom pom crab i see about once a week but i love that little guy. In fact its the only invert I have named. Even 2 of my fish dont have names yet.

Okay looking at your pic again,it doesn't look like sand substrate.It probably won't shift the sand unless its sugar size.Heck I don't see half the stuff in my tank including fire shrimp,peppermint shrimps,sun corals(daytime) and the list goes on.

well like I said that pic wasn't mine because I can't catch him out long enough for a pic. the sand in my tank is just slightly larger than sugar size. its not extremely fine grain though

i was wondering if i sunk a mouse trap in there with mysis or brine shrimp tied to it.... it woudld probably get the (bleep)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really want to get him out, although he will probably start to come out more once he's comfortable. I have put fish in my tank that I didn't see for a month. I just thought it had died. and then there it is always front and center. Well anyway, you are sure to catch him out this way. Dont' feed for a day or two. Get a clear water bottle. Cut the top off, turn it around so the top of the bottle is facing into the bottom. (like a minnow trap) Put some stinky food that he loves in there and put the bottle close to his home. Then wait up to 2 days or so.... You will probably catch other things to.

Good Luck!

it looks nice....just give him some time..probably youll want to lower a bit the rock music...maybe he likes bachata...;-)

haha funny thing I stopped playing my music really loud in my room when I got the tank. I still play some very hardcore metal.... but its low volume unless I fire up the music in the living room.

you know what is weird is it seems as though he almost saw me make this thread because over the last few days I have caught him out in the open sand multiple times a day. its been nice. seems as though he's shaping up nicely. weird how there was such a sudden change

Last edited:
So update on my "seriously lame fish" who is not so lame anymore. I swear he saw me make this thread and straightened up. He "little brittle" is coming out all the time and checking stuff out. he got his name because I was sure he was going to kick the bucket immediately when he first got dropped in the tank. Anyways I decided to snap a pic of him this morning since he has been impossible to photograph till recently. I have warmed up to him a lot more now! Also I am sure you guys remember my "bruise on goby" thread. In this picture you can see this discoloration that im talking about that definately is not going anywere fast. Let me know what you think.

littlebrittle.jpg

Back