I hope i don't sound too dumbLOL...N00b question

HeavyHittah

LivingReefs is like home
when you mount a frag on a plug, like one of those disc, what happens to the plug when the frag grows. Are the disc made of some kind of bio-material where it dissolves or is it just aragcrete( sp ?)? or does it just stay inside of the frag as it becomes a colony? or do you remove it at some point when the frag is at a substantial size?? man i hope i dont sound too clueless:shock:

It will get encrusted by the coral and become part of it in the end. They are usually made of ceramic or aragacrete. You can remove it before mounting if you wish but you dont need to.

hmmm i always thought that eventully the frag grows over it and the plug might get covered with coralline and become part of the rock work???? Good Q heavy~

I agree,the coral will eventually encrust the plug.But sometimes the nub(as I call it)can get in the way of where you want the coral.When that happens,just use a pair of side cutters and cut the nub off the bottom,leaving the coral attached to the plug.

i stole, i mean borrowed this picture of a new coral i bought from the divers den the red circle is where the coral has encrusted the frag plug
ORAvoodoostagedit.jpg

Back