I inherited a 180 gallon tank + accessories. Now what?

forringer

Reefing newb
I have:
- 180 gallon (72"x24"x24") tank
- Coralife 72" light fixture ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/Coralife-72-Aqua-Pro-150/dp/B0011UR0RY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1290217694&sr=8-3"]like this[/ame])
- Chiller ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/3HP-TECO-SeaChill-Chiller-TR20/dp/B001ELTTWE"]Teco 20[/ame])
- Trigger Systems Sump and Protein Skimmer
- Three pumps
- Two 200W heaters

The system appears to have had a reverse-osmosis system, a top-off bucket with float valve and a UV filter, but those parts have not been located.

I have no idea what to do with this setup, but it looks like it is thousand's of dollars worth of equipment. It completely disassembled.

From what I can tell, I need to:
- Build a cabinet for the tank / sump / pumps.
- plumb the system correctly
- get bio-balls and other filter material
- get everything that actually "lives" in the 180 gallon tank itself.

I don't really want to spend $xxxx on a fish-tank. Is there an inexpensive way to get started with salt water fish? Would it be stupid to use this equipment for a fresh-water tank?

What is the chiller even for?

I'll try to read around a little here, but if there are good threads for me, feel free to point me in the right direction.

I'll post some pictures in a little bit.

Thanks,
Ted

You could easily set it up as a fresh water, but salt water is so much cooler.

The sump, I would hang a light on and throw in some cheato which is a macro algea. It will help consume nutrients in the water and then you wouldnt need the bio balls.

You would need about 1-2 pounds of live rock per gallon. You can save money by getting dry base rock then seeding it with a few pieces of live rock.

Also an argonite based substrate. Crush coral tends to be too big particle size and catches alot of :pooh:

The stand can be built or purchased if you arent handy.

The chiller is used to keep the water cool. Most systems dont actually need one. Most do fine with clip on fans to help with evaporation.

What are you planning on keeping? If you are just going with fish, you could probably sell that fixture and possibly the chiller for some start up money.

Some of the stuff I got:
DSC05969.JPG_595.jpg

DSC05970.JPG_595.jpg

DSC05973.JPG_595.jpg

DSC05971.JPG_595.jpg

My current 55 gallon fresh-water tank. (I actually quite like it - but salt would be cool)
DSC05974.JPG_595.jpg

What are you planning on keeping? If you are just going with fish, you could probably sell that fixture and possibly the chiller for some start up money.

What are the other options? Yeah, I could sell the stuff I don't need if I really don't need it. It looks like a nice light fixture though.

-Ted

That's a good looking 55 FW. What do you have in there?

Thanks. It's nothing special. Just guppies, tetras, mollies etc. There is an albino cat-fish, but he hides and we only see him when we clean the tank. Live plants and snails round it out. I find the 55 tank peaceful. But I have absolutely no idea what to do with the big tank - turtles?

180 gallon would make a sweet saltwater tank.

As for your question: I inherited a 180 gallon tank + accessories. Now what?
Answer: Get ready to drain your savings account.

What are the other options? Yeah, I could sell the stuff I don't need if I really don't need it. It looks like a nice light fixture though.

-Ted

That light looks like it would be strong enough to keep any coral you would want to. The majority of witch are photosynthetic so if you want to keep them, you need a strong light. If you are just getting fish, then all you need is lighting to look at the fish. I bet that the guy had the chiller because those metal halides heated the tank up pretty good. But with propper steps, they really arent necessary. We have members on the site in AZ that dont have chillers.

But, I would just keep researching before you just start setting things up. It will help you get an idea of what direction you want to go and then more specific questions. Feel free to ask away. I have never seen anyone on this site tell someone to "search for the answer NOOB!!!" So dont feel bad if it is a question that has been asked 100 times. People on here like to hear the sound of their own fingures across the keyboard:mrgreen:

You inherited all that stuff and you are thinking of going freshwater or turtles??? :shock:

Time to take a walk on the wild side... ;)

Dude that sump is as big as my tank. And the chiller...well if you do freshwater Ill take it off your hands:mrgreen:

Where are you at ?

And the chiller...well if you do freshwater Ill take it off your hands.

Where are you at ?

Texas - looks like a long way from you.

So here is the deal. I don't have even $500 to invest in the right sand and rocks to set up a FOWLR tank. I could either sell this stuff, put it in storage until I have time and money to build a nice reef tank, or put together a cheap fresh-water tank.

Looks like I'll just be storing this stuff for now.

Thanks all!

You have an awesome setup! Just take your time if your are doing salt. I would save everything and when money allows set it up! you wont regret it. To buy all that stuff would take thousands of dollars just the chiller is about $800. Oh, you will want the chiller in Texas:mrgreen: It just makes things easier.

Back