I intend to get live rocks instead of my dead ?

minajaguar

Reefing newb
I intend to get live rocks instead of my dead rocks
but the there is no place in the tank ..can i replace dead rocks (in tank for 3 months) and put new live rocks instead or it may affect my biological filteration ?

some details:
--------------------
the reason because i found the water cloudy for long time ... and my nitrates more then 20
so i am trying to do anything to lower my nitrates because water changes couldn't work.
i just added some live rocks and chaeto alge. what do you think about all that ... while i have no fishes in my 30 gal ... just anemones and some crabes ... i can't add fishes with this unstable environment

Last edited:
All live rock means is that there is a population of bacteria on your rocks to process the waste. If your rocks have been in your tank for 3 months and you cycled your tank then your rocks are already live.

+1 Fishy. Plus buying new rock and transporting it home will cause some die-off and possibly kick off a new cycle anyways. You cant add fishes to the unstable enviroment.....but you have anemones. Anemones shouldn't be in a new tank. A general rule of thumb is 1 year to give ample time for your tank to mature. Anemones are more sensitive to "dirty" water than most fishes. Plus if the nem dies most likely so will everything else in your tank. Now I gotta ask all the usual questions. What are the params, feeding schedule, water change schedule, what the water source is, how much flow, what kind of test kits/how old they are,etc,etc,etc....

I think I've asked you this before, but what color was your cloudy water? If it was green that is pretty common for a new tank - its an algae bloom and most tanks experience them in the first few months. If it was white, then it was likely a bacterial bloom, again water changes and time will help. What kind of sand do you have? If its the super fine sugar-sized sand, then cloudy water could have resulted from a powerhead kicking up sand. And finally, do you use tap water or RO/DI water?

30 gallon
nitrate 20
nitrite 0.5
ammonia 0
temp 27c

water change 25% /2 weeks
small granules sand
2 powerheads not facing the sand bed
low feeding cause i have no fishes

How long has it been cloudy? I would do more water changes. have you checked your results against another kit? What kind of kit and how old is yours? And the water source?

"water changes don't work" doesn't make any sense...

If you have 20ppm nitrates in a gallon of water and you remove half a gallon and replace with fresh RO water, you will have 10ppm nitrates.

Unless there's nitrates in your salt or your water, this makes no sense.

Do a water change imo.

Back