Dude Dude DUDE!!!!!!
it more like powdery green i take my magnet cleaner over it every day

what could be causing it its been on for a good while

stats are normal
calcium is up in the 480+ range
salt is 1.026
lights are on about err 9-10hrs
umm what else?????oh
and im also gettin bubbles on my top rock and my backglass and my powerheads actually my powerheads are completely red witrh bubbles too

should i just stop the lights for a week ????

i try and not overfeed and all i feed is frozen
well i feed them some pellets sometimes:mrgreen::frustrat:
but just like a small pinch i estimate about 7pellets
and algae sheets

any thoughts ???

thanks in advance:bowdown:

ok for fish in my tank i have a

lunnar wrass
scopas tang
mag.foxface
niger trigger
dwarf lion
sea hare

inverts:
turbo snail
sandsifting star
fire shrimps

corals:
the usual
zoas
xenia
toadstoal
frogspawn

2clams
and a
condy anem
phew!!!!!

they all seen to be doing good nothing bad sooooo

sorry
for some reason i wanted to list all my critters:sfish::helm2:

Last edited:
you dont mention how much snails you've got. a good rule of thumb is 1 cleaning crew critter per gallon. your profile says you've been into the hobby for 2 months so im assuming you've got a new system. One of the things i would have done different if my system was that new is add a photphate reactor asap the sooner you get a handle on phosphates the better your tank will be 6 months down the road

you dont mention how much snails you've got. a good rule of thumb is 1 cleaning crew critter per gallon. your profile says you've been into the hobby for 2 months so im assuming you've got a new system. One of the things i would have done different if my system was that new is add a photphate reactor asap the sooner you get a handle on phosphates the better your tank will be 6 months down the road

ooooh I need to update that LOL I'm going on 4 mnths now

phosphate reactor????? :shock:

Plus your telling me I need 75 cleaners
I have 15 snails
and 2 hermits
and2 fire shrimp

Last edited:
phosphates and nitrates feed nusiance algae's. a phosphate reactor is a tube that you slowly pump your tank water through. Inside the reactor you place phosphate media that pulls phosphates out of the water as it flows across the media. do you have a sump/fuge? Also a phosphate test kit is a must have.

IMO a phosphate test kit is not worth having at all. If you have nuisance algae you have phosphates and it will still test at zero. If you dont have nuisance algae it will still test zero or close to it.

All other advice is good.

A phosphate reactor is a good idea for everyone, especially if you are having algae problems. They are cheap too -- around $40. That will definitely help with your algae.

You also have big, hungry, messy fish. Algae problems are hard to avoid when you keep fish that eat a lot and poop a lot like yours do.

Try larger/more frequent water changes too. How often/how much water do you change right now, and are you using tap water or RODI water?

i have a HOB filter that i sometimes use to clean my water if i add phosguard to it insted of a filter pad could that work??

A phosphate reactor is a good idea for everyone, especially if you are having algae problems. They are cheap too -- around $40. That will definitely help with your algae.

You also have big, hungry, messy fish. Algae problems are hard to avoid when you keep fish that eat a lot and poop a lot like yours do.

Try larger/more frequent water changes too. How often/how much water do you change right now, and are you using tap water or RODI water?

RODI water
2 five gallon buckets so 12% or so water change every 2wks

I would up your water changes to 10 to 20% weekly. Especially with the types of fish that you have, you will need to do water changes more frequently.

Its diatom-film algae-microalgae.You only see it because it's so concentrated.Like Biff said increase those water changes with RO water and cut back on lighting.Organic nutrient,nitrate,phosphate and to some degree light feeds algae.Cutting the lights for a few days will lesson the outbreak but it will come back just as bad in a few days if nutrients isn't reduce.Adding phosphate remover and running carbon about a week out of the month will help as well.

Back