I know I have hydroids. I am hoping you all can tell me that Im wrong.

Marines_Wife

Reef enthusiast
Staring lovingly into my tank tonight I came across a very nasty surprise. Hydroids. I am so utterly pissed. When I started looking I noticed that they are all OVER a few of my smaller pieces of rock. I am posting a couple of pictures of them, sorry they arent overly clear....but they were the best I could get

Here they are very fluorescent green

027 by EspysWife, on Flickr

And in this one you can see the tube really well, the Hydroid itself is actually so white its almost translucent.

030 by EspysWife, on Flickr

I am thinking that since I have quite a bit of sun cured live rock that has been sitting out and is completely sun bleached I may remove these pieces and put those in. Thoughts? These particular pieces of rock are also the ones I had bubble algae with, however after I got that under control I have never seen them return. I really hope someone can tell me I am mistaken here. But I know I am right.

I have about.....10-15 on these two rocks. Nothing on the larger pieces thank god. However the rocks that they are on are fully of nooks and crannies. I am concerned that there are more I am not seeing. What is the best method for super gluing them? What is a reef safe super glue?

If you can take them out (the rocks) without having to tear the tank down, do so. Boil the rock in a large pot. It will kill everything on the rock, and make it dead rock, which is fine. You can put them back in later when all the decaying crap falls off the rock.

Ok, I was thinking about putting some sun bleached rock in there in place of those. I hate to do it, but I dont want the hydroids taking over

Back