I know this has been asked a 1000 times!

WarmWaterDiver

Reefing newb
I have had my tank for over a year now everything has cycled and all my animals have flourished... until now. Out of no where I have a brown algae bloom which even covers the bits of green hair algae along with all of my corals. My starburst polyps, gorgonian, and button polyps are all suffering. The buttons have been half way out for almost 2 weeks now, and the stars haven't been out at all. My water quality if perfect, only thing I haven't tested are mag and silicates. I use RO/DI water with frequent water changes. Any ideas what I can do? I am going on a 3 weeks vacation in 2 weeks! Help!

Whats changed in your tank? Could something Have started a mini cycle? I saw a post from you at one time about a temp spike..... Could it have happen again and you didnt notice?

did you check ammonia? phosphates??..is there the posibility that somting died without notice??..all equipment is working fine? protein skimmer? bio pads need change?..feeding times??..new add recently? water temp??

I would guess phosphates. Try doing a large-ish water change and running some sort of phosphate removal media like PhosBan or RowaPhos. See if that helps anything. Testing for phosphates usually doesn't help, because the algae takes it up from the water column so quickly that you can have a zero reading but still have high phosphate levels.

Check your ro water with a tds meter, that could be your problem. Even thought the water is showing good its not if there is such a aglae problem. The reason it is show to be good or perfect is because the algae is eating all the nutrients up before you can test them. You also could be overfeeding, have something that died in the tank, feeding flake instead of frozen could all be other probs. But your water has to be off if you have algae.

I'll try some phosban or something, also ordered small conchs, crabs, snails, and a cucumber. Hopefully they will help control. This all started around the time I added a Galaxea coral and it has progressively gotten worse. Other than that I haven't changed any of my routine.

Be careful of the cucumber! They are FOUL if something happens to them, they can take out your entire tank. I wouldn't advise having them in your tank, but maybe you'll enjoy it... They aren't much to look at ;).

I'd say that its more than likely the RO filters.There only good for X ammount of water depending just how hard the tap water is.

I'd say that its more than likely the RO filters.There only good for X ammount of water depending just how hard the tap water is.

This is true, but I just replaced mine about 2 months ago. Mine last between 4-6 months between water changes and drinking water. The only other thing I can think of if that I added 11lbs of branching fiji live rock about 3 months ago. Thats my only thought on what started this. My tank was pristine otherwise.

If it was 3 months ago, I doubt it. You would have seen the consequences sooner. In this hobby, bad things usually happen fast ;).

Well, I leaning to Ro as well...

I have just got back from my 3 day vacation and BOOM Greenish Brown foggy water ! I had just changed out 10 gallons of Ro water before I left ! ( the same place I got it from 2 days before my first algae bloom ! )

I think That place has BAD WATER ! no doubt ! I am setting up a 40 Gallon Q- tank to Tear Down my 55 I need to Kill this damn Algae ErrrErrrrghh ( no corndog sticks this time only a Dead Tiny hermit )

Back