I`m a noob, but alrady have a ton of videos :)

Homerrjsimpson

Reefing newb
Hello there!

My name is Arvis Pavilons. I was born in Latvia, but currently live in Amsterdam due to studies.

I have not had any experience with saltwater aquariums. I have a fish pond in my homecountry and of course many aquariums - I have 600 liter aquarium, 64 liter, 90 liter, 150 liter, 50 liter, 35 liter, 260 liter. All are tropical (sweet water fish) :) .

I wanted to prove the world, it is possible to have an cheap saltwater aquarium and it does not need to be very scientific like. (to read the rest info or to get link to my youtube chanel and see all my mistakes I have done) please find my question topic in other topic :) !

Ragards, Homerjsimpson

Hello and Welcome!

Just something to think about, when people first started to keep saltwater tanks they didnt have the "scientific like stuff" this resulted in lots of dead fish a whole host of other issues. So to take better care of this fish and deal with other issues, they came up with the "scientific stuff". I wouldnt be so quick to right it off

Hello and Welcome!

Just something to think about, when people first started to keep saltwater tanks they didnt have the "scientific like stuff" this resulted in lots of dead fish a whole host of other issues. So to take better care of this fish and deal with other issues, they came up with the "scientific stuff". I wouldnt be so quick to right it off

Thats true, yet You have to admit, that many things are now created just for profit...

If the anciet greeks could keep anome in 3 liter jar....

Can I see proof of that?

And around here, we will advise on what is necessary to buy, and what isnt. We arent out to make money off of you, we are just here to make sure that you dont go accidentally killing a bunch of animals. I suggest you either go back to freshwater, or buck up and accept that you will need to get into that "scientific stuff" to succeed in this hobby, because mistakes are costly in this hobby. Do it right once with a small amount of money, or blow all your cash over and over again in various mistakes.

Well, it`s half past 2 in night, so I`m not going to search google... but yeah, it`s there... Anciet greeks kept anenome (sorry for misspelling it all the time) in 3 liter jars as a "water flower" . In europe they teach this kind of stuff in nineth grade... Thats why our education sucks, we learn everything about everything, even stuff we don`t need.

Currently I have spent on everything about 140 dollars - I have bought live rock, live sand,salt, light,filter, heater, and of course aquarium...

And thank You for Your advises. And going back to freshwater... well I haven`t left them, as I told I still have a lot of them freshwater tanks and even 40 000 liter pond...
But here in Amsterdam I didn`t have any aquariums, got bored, and so I tought, I should try saltwater, It can`t be that hard...

About screwing and by that loosing investments... well that`s why I won`t make any large investments... Clown fish costs 10 dollars per piece... Of course, I`m not adding it yet...

And I think fradgility (don`t know if there is a such word in english) is over exadirated (and this I misspelled :) ) . Because I`m always comparing my projects with nature... Corals in their habitat are exposed to a lot of bad chemicals - for example petrol/fuel - from boats... Of course, I`m not going to add petrol in my tank...

About killing animals and stuff like that... Of course it is unethical to be responsible for some animals death - YET, we must remember that this isn`t their home - it is their prison, and our job as fish keepers is to make their prison more like home.
So basically we are doing bad thing already, the extremes in this value is the only thing that changes.

And I cannot go to scnietifical stuff that easy, unless You are willing to send me 50 dollars via paypal :D :D ... Because 50 $ for my country is a lot of money, I can survive week on that - transportation, food. And if I have to choose to live one week on water so i would be able to afford chemistry kit to just be sure, that amonia has gone down. I chose eat sommething , and eat my apple while I watch my new project.

Thanks for Your comment! NIce talking to You :)

Regards, Arvis.

And I cannot go to scnietifical stuff that easy, unless You are willing to send me 50 dollars via paypal :D :D ... Because 50 $ for my country is a lot of money, I can survive week on that - transportation, food. And if I have to choose to live one week on water so i would be able to afford chemistry kit to just be sure, that amonia has gone down. I chose eat sommething , and eat my apple while I watch my new project.

sounds like your not ready for salt water just yet. you need to set a budget and plane to go over that budget :twocents:

Quick search is never the answer! :Search deeper and You will find it!

Anciet greeks kept corals as well in 3 liter jars... or course the life span was about 4 days, yet stilll..

.... 4 day life span means they tortured and killed the corals...

Tbh, you can do a cheap tank on a budget. But you have to learn what will survive in that tank.

How big is your tank? if the tank is 50 litres, good luck getting much into it! You can get corals and so forth in there, but you will need lights to look after them, you also need to be doing water changes to look after it even if you are vodka dosing (which is too chemical for you saying you believe you shouldnt need to learn it for a simple tank ) the next part is, you will not be able to keep a anemone, it will die in your tank so quickly! .

This is one of the worst attitudes I have seen to saltwater aquarium and hope you actually take the time to research what you are doing.

You also know, that freshwater filters are useless and will actually negatively impact a saltwater tank? if not, you now need to look at buying a skimmer as a skimmer is what is ACTUALLY useful in keeping your tank clean. Do you know anything about cycling the tank? or you going to wing it because that is too chemical..

Welcome though, good luck and I hope we don't see any dead fish, coral or invert threads

Hi, Jmck!

Amm, about Vodka... It is made from water, and yeast, so It shouldn`t be too bad... Although, yeast might decrease PH....

I am using freshwater filter for now, till I get normal powerhead...
Tank is 72 liters. (about 18 gallon)..

I did research on the skimmers, and actually they can be skipped on small tanks, like mine, as long there are performed weekly water changes.

ANd of course I know about cycling tank... I read different forums reefcentral,watched youtube chanells, and my own country forums...

Thats why I went with the water from already running tank... Becuase I`n european forum it said, it is possible to speed up the cycling, if the water is taken from already stable aquarium, because the bacteria is simpley transfered, and then the bacteria starts fighting with amonia and breaks it down to NO3 and NO2 . Today I gona do water change and add again water from the same stable tank, there fore giving backup to fighting bacteria...

About research. I have watched tutorial videos of about 1500 minutes - I`m serious.
And have read a lot in forums.
But I have always been different, and I have always been fighting my own battles, and this is one of them.

Oh, and about fish, don`t worrie, I wont post it :D .. .no, just kidding. Fish will be added few month later... and no corals will be added yet... First I want to wait few weeks and see what grows from my live rock...

Regards, Arvis.

Here is the thing, you arent proving anything by doing this on a budget. 90% of us are on a very tight budget, im a college student, i have very little money to spend on my tank. There are corners you can cut, other you cant, and you seem to have absolutely no handle on which corners those are. You arent fighting a battle in your own way, you just look like an idiot.

Also, there is hardly any bacteria in the water column. All you are doing by putting in that water from another person's tank, is putting fish poop and other wastes into your tank. If you really want to speed up your cycle you need to put rocks from that persons aquarium in your tank - that is where the bacteria lives. And the bacteria breaks down ammonia to NO2, then to NO3.

welll, I need fish poop and all that stuff to start cicling process, don`t i? Thats why they sometimes put raw shrimp in the aquarium, so there would be some waste in water and bacteria starts to grow... So I guess, that wasn`t very idiotic? Or am I beeing even bigger idiot now?

About corners... Well, I don`t need sump, I don`t need protein skimmer... I need good lights, powerfull stream, and steady temperature, and steady salinity... What else there to understand... Once again, People try to make it harder than it actually is... And, lady, believe me, You don`t even know what tight budget is... I have been living for few weeks on rise and water (and I don`t mean rise with souce, salt, vegetables or anything) , I mean FUCKING RISE! And when girl tells me that shes on tight budget, I am loosing it...

if you are living on rice and water, you have no business starting a saltwater tank, they are money pits even when done on a budget. You should be taking care of yourself before you try taking care of another creature.

Also the water is going to have the products of the decomposed fish poop, nitrates basically, which wont do anything but fuel algae issues. Get your self some live rock, you dont need a lot, just one piece, drop in your piece of table shrimp and let it cycle.

I already have 4 kg of live rock...

And I`m more interested in small oceans, than my body...

And I am eating only rise to save money for more equipment.

WOW lololol hahahahah hes already starting with a bad attitude....were not tryin to kill you hahahah,little fish is a mod for a reason she knows what shes talking about.
We want you tank to thrive and the way your starting i dont belive it is,before i even bought a single thing for my tank I watched endless hours and hundreds of articles about saltwater,and i still made mistakes

Back