I made the leap, and i think i mighta screwed myself

project5k

Reef enthusiast
so i went to the lfs today to pick up a few things that i needed, and to see if my buddy Jason(owner) could help me calibrate my new electronic ph and tds meters... well while i was in the store, i happened to walk by the corals and this one cought my eye... 14.99 and green and blue zoas... dangit, allright, fine, so... i get them home, drip aclimate them in a bucket, and get them in the tank... life is good, they start openeing up, and then all of a sudden, my starfush shows up and just parks on them... well crap, i think i just bought my starfish a really expensive meal, ok, fine, the starfish has gotta go into the fuge or something im thinking... or give him away ro something.. but.. then, while i'm looking at all of this, i find my first aipstasia... so, now what do i do, i dont have anything to treat it with, and the fish store is like 45 min away and i already made that trip today...

help.

Peppermint shrimp would be your best bet for the aiptasia. Get several of them, and they will prevent future outbreaks as well.

If you don't want to go the shrimp route, then you can use several different chemicals available at the LFS, kalkwasser paste, salt paste, vinegar or lemon juice. None of those are very effective in my experience :(

What is an antipasta?? Or aipstaia? Or what did you say?? I gave my starfish away, he too was about to eat a coral, nasty creatures. LOL.

well, after the inital 30 min of freaking out, i calmed down, called my LFS, and asked him what he suggested, he said he would be more than happy to take the rock back, fix it, or help me out with what i needed to kill it myself... i decided that i had already traumatized the new zoas enough with the travel home, so i decided to run back to the store, and i got aipstasia x, this little bottle of stuff and a little syringe, so i squirted some of that in its face and now i cant see the thing, it shrunk up with what looked like a wad of wet sheetrock in its mouth..., so, i guess its wait, watch and see what happens...

oh a side note, just after i hit post, i remembered i hadnt attached the pictures, so i went back and added them but the its like the site went down, cause i couldnt get anywhere on here... so, here they are now..

oh, and the starfish moved on, and i cant see that theres anything wrong on the new rock, so... i guess he was just checking it out or something... time will tell..

oh, and biff, i thought about the shrimp, problem is that i have a 18 inch snowflake eel in this tank, so something tells me that they wouldnt last too long...

Attachments

• 10-18-09 002  s.jpg
    10-18-09 002 s.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 313
  • 10-18-09 003  s.jpg
    10-18-09 003 s.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 337
  • 10-18-09 004  s.jpg
    10-18-09 004 s.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 366
  • 10-18-09 005  s.jpg
    10-18-09 005 s.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 358
Last edited:
I've been using Aiptasia X on the majanos that survived the rock boil. I've been using it for about 5 days now, and I don't think I've seen any of them come back either. Thing is, I keep getting new ones popping up all over the place :(

I started seeing some aptasia after i bought some rock from a person off craigs list:pissedof: thaat basterd could a warned me. anyways ive been checking out some remidies and has anyone tried berghia nudibranches, they supposedly eat the whole aptasia and will di it fast:dunno:

Berghia's will wipe aiptasia out fairly quick.But once the aiptasias gone,the bergiahs will starve just as quick.

they also eat the foot which most other remidies dont get rid of. And yote even if they die the aptasia will be gone :bounce: it would take awhile in a tank the size of mine.

Yeah,the aiptasia-x hardens inside the anemone,effectively killing it.You can watch em melt away like an ice cube on a hot sidewalk:D

does it come with a syringe like at a hospital. cause i got this stuff called chem-marin and its green it works only half the time. thats why i was thinking of the nudibranch cause i want them gone

Try the aiptasia X or joe's juice on the large ones. I added some pepp shrimp and they destroyed the smaller ones I had. The pepps don't touch the big ones but they def. make a meal out of the smaller ones.

Back