I might have found my first aquarium

Dustin you already know i was thinking it. but yea shell probably like it once its going. but anyway i think i want my stand to be 3 feet tall is this to high? and doesnt everyone build there stands out of pine? might try to start this weekend or midweek

Well i got my tank. And after buyers remorse its in my room on the floor. I cant wait to get my stand built so i can sit it on that and not have to worry about kicking a hole in it. Lol. The stand frame will be made from whitewood from lowes anyone heard of this? And dont you have to use untreated wood for the stand? I will start a build thread once i get going on the stand. But it might go slow at first. And all i have to take pictures is my lg dare for the moment

My stand is built from regular old 2x4's from Lowe's. Treated is not neccessary unless you plan on having frequent and constant exposure to water. Neither is a good thing. Occasional splashes are fine for untreated wood. Look for stand designs online. If not I can help you. I weigh 300+ and I jumped up and down on mine (which really hurt my head since I'm over 6 ft and built a 35" stand and the ceilings in my basement are only 8') with a pretty simple design. Just be careful. I built mine tall so I would have plenty of room in the sump area below but I have to stand on a step stool to do anything in my tank. My tank is 30"+ tall so that doesn't help.

well i was going to start my build thread today but thanks to some anonymous A--hole out there im not. Someone stole my skillsaw(circular) out of my dad's storage house. I am so pissed!!. So now i have to wait to find someone else who i can borrow a saw from to cut my wood. ill keep you guys posted.

I hate a thief.Find the dude ,tie him to a tree,and drop a lionfish down his pants.Bet he'll think twice before he steals again.

that is a shitty deal. i know how you feel i was going to fix my lawnmower one time just to find out that someone stole my wire feed welder.

Congratz on the tank Heavy. Not sure if you already bought your wood yet but if you catch the guys at HD or Lowes in a good mood they'll cut all your wood for free. If it's busy they'll charge you each cut. I have heard a few people that talked them in to making a couple of cuts per board. Just gotta make sure you have all your measurments when you go in the store. Just another option in case you can't find a saw to borrow.

Congrats on your tank! My wife hated the aquarium idea until i got fish and critters in there, now she goes to the lfs everytime :)

thnx hornet and keaton. i actually found another skilsaw we had laying around. just bought another blade for it and cut my wood already. i actually got my build thread going now, its in the showcase forum. now im trying to make plans as to what kind of caulk and waterproof paint to use to make the inside of my stand able to hold a few gallons just in case of a flood? any ideas

do you guys think an hour drive (one way) is worth a used 20g Long sump with the baffles in the wrong place for $20?

How much do 20g Longs usually go for?

well after sending Aqueon this email:

To whom it may concern, I recently bought an AGA 75 tank from SuperPetz in Columbia , SC. It has an "Assembled by Jeff" as well as a warning sticker on the bottom of it. Im pretty sure that the bottom is tempered glass, but are any of the other panels tempered (like the back).I know you might get this question alot, but i just want to make sure. Thanks in Advance, Ty

i got this one back:

Hello Tyron,

If the sticker says “Tempered Glass Do Not Drill Enclosure”, it is possible all panels might be tempered. The bottom would be for sure. As a manufacturing plant, we do have shifts in materials and components used to manufacture our product which means we sub out glass on occasions and some of that glass may be tempered. If you need to know for certain, any aquatics store or glass shop can look at the tank with polarized lenses for determination. http://fins.actwin.com/killietalk/month.200009-msg00488.html

If you need additional information, please let me know.

Thank you,

[FONT=&quot]Rochelle [/FONT]

Rochelle Fettig
Customer Service
Central Aquatics ( Franklin )
[email protected]
888-255-4527
414-423-8544

and i seriously dont know if im going to attempt to drill anymore, anyone know where i can get polorized lenses from

here's the sticker
0313091535.jpg

im kinda bummed right now cuz i really wanted to do "beans silent and failsafe overflow" but i dont know. . . :dunno:

Back