I need a cheap 'fuge light

d2mini

Reef enthusiast
I hear of people getting stuff at home depot but I'm not sure what I'm looking for. Pics would help greatly. :12:
Thanks!

El cheapo strip fluorescent lights are the ones you can buy at Petco and Petsmart for a freshwater tank. They usually have just the one bulb.

My fuge lighting cost less than $10 from Lowe's. I bought a pair of track lights, mounted the track to the wall, and put two regular old plant bulbs in them. They have worked perfectly for growing macroalgae. A lot of people also get the clamp-on shop light fixtures from the hardware store, and put a plant bulb in it.

This set up cost under $10. Bulb is a spiral screw-in fluorescent 65k.

sump1_12-08.jpg

Ok cool... ya i think that clip on shop light is what i've seen before.
So does any old 65k spiral fluorescent work or do I need to look for a specific "plant" bulb?

I read a whole blog on a guy who uses these, and his cheato growth is phenominal.....just buy a clip on socket, and you are good to go!

wow 75w is strong. You should see some serious growth.

I use a 23 watt HG light that produces same amount of brightness as a standard 75-100 watt bulb and my algae growth has been out of crontrol. Im thinking about just giving a bunch of macro algae to my LFS because the fuge has no more room.

No its fine. Growth is good, i was just stating it for me because my fige is kinda small and pretty much filled from end to end with macro...

you're fine. Keep em!

where did my link go? Anyways, it was a compact flourescent, but in a floodlight. 6500k colour, and can be found at lowes

wow 75w is strong. You should see some serious growth.

I use a 23 watt HG light that produces same amount of brightness as a standard 75-100 watt bulb and my algae growth has been out of crontrol. Im thinking about just giving a bunch of macro algae to my LFS because the fuge has no more room.

ha ha i use two of my old 96w 10k pcs and the growth is crazy now i use to have two 24in strip lights and nothing would grow

Back