I need a crab trap

reefer_head

Reefing newb
Does anyone know how to make a crab trap? I think I have a small gorilla crab, and would like to catch him before tearing up my live rock with a pair of tweezers trying to get at him.

I realize this is several months late but I'd like to share my idea about crab-trapping.

I have taken a 20oz water bottle before and cut the upper half off and simply inverted it to 'tuck' it inside out. When done correctly, it will fit snuggly and not come apart.

I then put a small piece of frozen shrimp in the bottom and placed the trap's top-side next to a rock where the crab is suspected to live.

I usually catch them overnight. They can't escape once they're inside and you can put them in your sump or whatever you decide to do with them.

If anyone uses this method, keep in mind the shrimp will rot and cause ammonia so it's important to keep a fresh piece in it every day.

So simple. I wish I had thougt of it. I havent seen him in awile but I think I'll give it a try and see what I can catch. Thanks

Or take a glass jar with a plastic top and cut a hole in the plastic top large enough for the crab and it will keep your fish and snails out.

Back