I need a new filter!!

ROOKIE FISH

Reefing newb
I have a 55 gallon tank that has been up and going for six months. I currently have a magnum 350 canister filter. It was given to me and now it seems like it is not pushing out as much water as it was. I have replaced the filter as well. The filter is around 8 years old so i am guessing its time to get a new one. Any suggestions on a new filter would be great.

Hey, yea i have about sixty pounds of live rock...Well lace rock i bought it before i knew the difference.
Fish wise i have 6 chromis, a pepermint shrimp a cleaner shrimp and a starfish.
I just lost two yellow tangs and a dragon goby... I believe it was because of poor filtration. My ph had gotten a liitle high. I check it regularly too. No idea why i had it spike but as soon i saw it i did a water change.

Yea, i have been reading...a little late since i jumped in feet first. My LFS told me that it was a perfect number of fish so i agreed..lol guess i learned the hard way!!!

A lot of us have learned the hard way that a lot of LFS don't genuinely care about their livestock. They're just trying to make money.

Have you thought about a sump?
And you should definitely ditch the filter and go with a skimmer.

I am just now starting to do my research on all the different types. Should i use a skimmer and a sump, or will one do the job? Also which brand would you recommend??

Octopus, like Biff said.

Most of us here (most of us that use skimmers, that is) have a sump and a skimmer. You can check out some of the build threads to get an idea...
There's also been a lot of talk recently about the algae scrubbers. I don't have one... but I'm thinking about it!

Go with a sump + skimmer. You won't regret it. I went down the same path as you 2 years ago...trying to use canisters and HOB filters....but they're totally useless IMO except for water movement.
Keep us updated! I plan on setting up a FOWLR 55 or 90 gallon with a 20Long sump in september!

In a saltwater tank, the main filtration you need is biological (Live Rock/Sand)

As it's been said, Reef Octopus seems to be the most favorite brand for when it comes to skimmers so I vote for you to get that brand as well.

Canister filters as i've heard are a pain in the ass to clean. With power filters, detritus and other nasty gunk gets trapped in the filter media and can break down and give you ammonia, nitrates, nitrites. So best to avoid that as well.

All you need is the skimmer, rock, sand. The tank will be fine with just that. :)

Back