I need a nice lid / cover, I hate mine...ideas?

koda_dad

Mr. Paranoid
Hi all,

I currently have eggcrate with window screening on top of the eggcrate.

It works...but it cuts down the light WAY TOO MUCH.

It is also a pain because the mesh is too finely meshed...so when my skimmer output hits it....well lets just say it makes a mess.

I need a lid that is a) tight (planning on bluespot jawfish and a Helfrichi firefish) b) doesn't block a ton of light c) can be used around my HOB skimmer and powercords (heaters, powerheads etc)

Suggestions? Pics? Links?

thanks all!

It does sound like a glass lid would work for you; however glass lids have some cons...

I had a glass top on my 46 gallon and recently switched to egg crate because of the EXTREME HEAT that the glass lids trapped in my aquarium; my tank was reaching 86 degrees on hot summer days. However, I live in Florida, so in Canada heat may not be a big problem. :D

Also, glass tops limit gas exchange, which can be an issue...

In the winter...sure...not a prob..in the summer...it gets hot.

What about drilling tons of holes in the lid? Maybe use acrylic?

DSCF0199.JPG

What about something like that? But a slightly finer mesh as I think with that the firesfish/jawfish could still jump out.

Any idea where you buy that?

Drilling holes might work. I wouldn't want to risk drilling glass (maybe take it to a professional?), but acrylic might work...

Personally, I think the mesh in the picture might work out nice if you can pull it tight across the aquarium top...

I made my tops from that not too long ago. Good stuff. I think I posted my info in this section. Got the window frame kits in the store and the bird/wildlife netting. Very easy to do. I notched the frames with a dremel to allow powerhead cords to go through and keep the lids flush. Another idea I just had in another thread is to do two layers of the netting in a criss cross pattern. The stuff is still thin enough to let plenty of light in but would stop those damn diamond jumpers.

Back