I need clean up crew advice

shihtzu217

Reefing newb
About a month ago I got some corals from a reefer that was getting out of the hobby and his tank was in BAD shape. I cleanned rocks as best I could but apparently missed some bubble algea and aiptasia, which is now spreading in my tank. I need a new Maid Service for my tank. Peppermint shrimp, Copperband Butterfly, Nudibranch is what I am finding to help with these do I have more options? and what kind of Nudibranch? I'm ready to add more fish so I'm okay with the copperband but wondered if there were other choices for my 55gal.

Current cleaners
Bristle worms
brittle stars
serpent star
and some small black snails (sorry don't know what they are they were given to me.

Livestock

2 clowns (oscellaris)
Allens Damsel
Mandarin
Lawnmower Blenny
Feather duster
Xenia's
Several different Mushrooms
Leather's
Zoa's
Green star polyps

In the near future I want to add some Chromis, maybe an Orchid Dottyback, possibly a Flame Angel, and either Blue or Yellow Tang. I plan on many more corals too but am waiting for Mid February for a Frag Swap. So this month Maid Service, January 1 or 2 fish then February corals.

I Love Color and Charactor so need your advice on what to add to the staff this month, I really appreciate your advice.

get about 6-10 peps and give them sometime to get to know your tank. copperband is a good one too but this are a hit or miss. some copperbands don't touch them if you feed your tank regularly so as the peps.

Aiptasia is'nt too bad, I've been hunting and injecting with lemon juice to kill but is a pain in the butt........the bubble algea is still small bubbles but spreading quickly. Bubble algea is my biggest concern. I can hunt the aiptasia if I have to just getting tired of it.

Skip the copperband butterfly, they are difficult to keep alive. The nudibranchs you're talking about are berghia's nudibranchs. They are not a good choice since they ONLY eat aiptasia, and then starve to death very quickly once they're done cleaning your tank.

Like Kimoy said, get a handful of peppermint shrimp. That's by far the best option for aiptasia.

As far as bubble algae, get some emerald crabs. *Most* emerald crabs prefer bubble algae over other foods. You also will need some more snails if all you have are a few little black ones. If I were you, I'd get 2 mexican turbos, about a dozen astraea, and about a dozen nassarius. Add more down the road if they aren't keeping up with the cleaning.

Last edited:
Me too,Several peppermint shrimps and emerald crabs for your problem.I do like to say,mine doesn't touch bubble algae though,I dunno why.Perhaps,they are getting all they want elsewhere.

If the emerald crabs don't take care of the bubble algae, you can remove it by hand CAREFULLY, be sure not to pop any of the bubbles in the tank or it will spread.

Thanks Everyone, peppermint and emeralds it is then.

Biff in the past I have pulled the rock out into a small bucket of tank water and removed the bubble algea but it is just such a pain in the butt.

I'm off to Vegas Sunday so will pick up the new crew when I get home.

While I have your attention my 55 gal freshwater sprung a small leak at the seam today, so spent the day moving to another tank what do I use to reseal the seam?

Silicone will fix it.Just make sure to get 100% silicone that dont have anti-mildew and mold stuff.
You might have to remove the old silicone thats already there with a razor blade though.Just make sure that once you've got it cleaned and ready for the new seam,that you dont get any air bubbles and its covering the corner good.

Back