I need help choosing a protein skimmer under 200.00 please

ckw_1980

Reefing newb
Hello,
I'm sure this has been discussed to death but I have to ask. I had been running my 60g with just bio-wheels but I just bought a fluval 405 and want to buy a HOB protein skimmer too. I want to upgrade to a 90-125g tank at some point so I'd love to get a decent skimmer that I could still use on a bigger tank. I'd say I'll have a light to med bio-load when I get my tank the way I want it. Here's some options I've been considering.

1.I've read mostly good things about the Reef octopus 300. I like the looks of it too but have also heard that some people find it a bit loud and some complain that it shoots out too many air bubbles.

2.I've also read good things about Aquac Remora but don't really know which model would be right for me. (which model would you recomend?)

3.The Bubble Magus nac6 or nac7 seem to have great reviews but they are UGLY. I think these are HOB but could someone please confirm?

Which of these three or any other HOB protein skimmer would you recomend for me for under 200.00

Thanks
CKW

Last edited:
Those are the top choices i have heard of. You want to get one that is rated for twice you tank volume though, so keep that in mind if you want to ugrade and not get a new skimmer later on.

Also you should ditch the canister filter. Those are freshwater idea that dont work very well in salt. Unless you clean them every 3 or 4 days, they end up trapping a bunch of junk that will just rot releasing nitrates back into the water column, decreasing your water quality. If you keep up on changing the media, they work fine, but many people dont have the time to do that.

I had been running my 60g with just bio-wheels but I just bought a fluval 405 and want to buy a HOB protein skimmer too.

3.The Bubble Magus nac6 or nac7 seem to have great reviews but they are UGLY. I think these are HOB but could someone please confirm?

Thanks
CKW

Reef octopus model 110 I think, Right at 200.

Neither the Bubble Magus NAC6 or NAC7, and the Reef Octopus 110 are HOB Skimmers.

The Aqua C Remora is a great HOB Skimmer, as is the other Octopus to refered to.
If it was me, Id pick up a used Aqua C, save your money for your upgrade, then look into the Bubble Magus skimmers for in sump.

I hate to dispell any opinions here, but I had the Remora C, hob, and it is a piece of :pooh:. It didnt pull out anything for two weeks, then it would pull out nothing, then, go and overflow. I figured it was me, so I adjusted it like everyday, and still, it sucked. The reef octo I mentioned earlier is an external skimmer, so you can place it outside your sump. I dont know if you have a sump. If you must go with a hob, I would say stay away from the Remora C, if you like I can send you my old one and you can try it, its just sitting at the store, over a year and no one will buy it, even used and like $50, I paid $200 for the :pooh: !

I hate to dispell any opinions here, but I had the Remora C, hob, and it is a piece of :pooh:. It didnt pull out anything for two weeks, then it would pull out nothing, then, go and overflow. I figured it was me, so I adjusted it like everyday, and still, it sucked. The reef octo I mentioned earlier is an external skimmer, so you can place it outside your sump. I dont know if you have a sump. If you must go with a hob, I would say stay away from the Remora C, if you like I can send you my old one and you can try it, its just sitting at the store, over a year and no one will buy it, even used and like $50, I paid $200 for the :pooh: !

SeaBee, that is honestly the first bad review I have heard on the skimmer. Everyone I've talked to has loved them. Maybe you had a faulty unit? Or maybe, just maybe they really are crap, I dunno.

You can also run a CPR BakPak as a HOB

Thanks for all the help everyone.

I do appreciate the offer Seabee but if the Aqua c didn't work for you there's no point sending it to me. haha

I did find a used reef octopus 300F for 125.00. Should I grab it?

I'm just worried about buying used. Is there anyway I could test it before I buy it without a fish tank?

Thanks again
CKW

Back