I need help selecting a pump..who makes cheap..quietish..pumps

Gigaah

Reefing newb
Ok. I'm building a sump/agea scrubber.
According to provided math I'll need about 400GPH over the scrubber(10-12" wide)

My "overflowbox" I planned on using my marineland emperor 400gph HOB filter. See this is the rated flow of the pump in it. tho from the tank to the box there must be a siphon between the two..the intake pipe extended to the bottom of the tank and then into the bottom of the box. So I suspect I can get FAR more than 400GPH out of the box after I modify it due to the fact it actually pumps the water out of the tank

SO! I need a pump. I don't know who makes decent..cheap..quietish pumps. My first instinct was Ehiem. I know the brand from past experience in aqariums a long time ago and I've used them in Computer watercooling applications. But is there a better option?

Ideally I'd THINK I want a pump that is rated around 700-800(more) to account for head loss and tubing and to have some extra capacity over the needed 400gph for the scrubber.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm very excited about getting this all set up and running.

Check out a brand called Quiet Ones I purchased a pump around 300GPH for like 20 bucks a while ago. The only problem I had was it leaked out of a fitting when I was using it as an inline pump. But it works fine as a submerged pump. It is very quiet also.

Eheim is a very good brand, but they are a little more expensive than others. For a small, cheapish pump you may want to look into getting a Rio.

Back